• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Ahoy!

Jorunn

Dreamer
Hi there! I'm surprised I hadn't found this place before now, it seems like a nice little corner of the Internet!

I hail from the American Northwest (transplanted here from the American Midwest four years ago) and I've been a fantasy fiend since before I could read. I have a distracting fascination with worldbuilding which I'm trying to keep under control but creating fictional histories and customs is just so fun. There are three (sometimes four) stories chasing each other's tails in my head, and with one I can't seem to get past the opening. I've been writing and re-writing it for 5 years. So I have a bit of a creative focus problem and an over active Inner Critic who does not help matters. But I love the people who live in these worlds I've come up with and I'm trying to find the method that clicks for me to tell their stories. This is somewhat hampered by preparations for my upcoming wedding in less than 2 months. :eek:

Some things I always love in a good tale: Ships and sailors, unconventional rulers, limited gods, and snakes who are the good guys!

kikyo

Dreamer
Hi there! I'm surprised I hadn't found this place before now, it seems like a nice little corner of the Internet!

I hail from the American Northwest (transplanted here from the American Midwest four years ago) and I've been a fantasy fiend since before I could read. I have a distracting fascination with worldbuilding which I'm trying to keep under control but creating fictional histories and customs is just so fun. There are three (sometimes four) stories chasing each other's tails in my head, and with one I can't seem to get past the opening. I've been writing and re-writing it for 5 years. So I have a bit of a creative focus problem and an over active Inner Critic who does not help matters. But I love the people who live in these worlds I've come up with and I'm trying to find the method that clicks for me to tell their stories. This is somewhat hampered by preparations for my upcoming wedding in less than 2 months. :eek:

Some things I always love in a good tale: Ships and sailors, unconventional rulers, limited gods, and snakes who are the good guys!

Hello Jorunn!
As an avid fantasy reader, when I hear of a writer that likes ships and sailors, I instantly want some mermaid folklore thrown in there! Keep posting and congrats on the wedding.

xoxo,
Kikyo

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met Jorunn [of the Northwest]
Good to have you here.
I hope someone else is organising your wedding as this place can be Procrastination Central...
Leap on in. There is a lot to peruse in the older threads and there is usually some interesting banter to be had.

Jorunn

Dreamer
Hello Jorunn!
As an avid fantasy reader, when I hear of a writer that likes ships and sailors, I instantly want some mermaid folklore thrown in there! Keep posting and congrats on the wedding.

xoxo,
Kikyo

Yes, merfolk! I'm wading in to the Age of Sail story for one of my worlds and I haven't come up with a good way to include merfolk yet. One of the main deities is sometimes depicted as a mermaid, but I'm not sure yet if they exist on their own. I need to do research!

fiera43

Scribe
Congrats on the wedding, ships and sea stories are always fun because it a lot of the time relies on things out of the characters control like the wind.