• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hello from here

Zeppo

Dreamer
Hello All.

I've been looking around for a good community to join to help encourage me to actually write my fantasy novel. I was discouraged from writing when I was younger (as an adult now, I don't know why my parents always criticized my writing...I was only 7!) and now I realize that I actually want to have a creative outlet.

My problem...I'm not actually a very good writer. I feel that I have good ideas, and I am creative enough to come out with a decent story, but the ability to actually structure dialogue and frame a scene really worries me. There is so much that I am undecided on that I am afraid to start.

One question that I have not yet been able to answer is whether I want a first person perspective, or 3rd person omniscient. There are aspects to the latter that I like, but I am more familiar with first person.

Any recommendations in helping to make a decision?

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
First of all, welcome. You've come to the best place on the net for fantasy writers.

Second, you don't get to say you're not a good writer ... or even that you're a good one. Your readers will decide that for you, so it's best just to get on with it. :)

First or third? Trust me, that one gets discussed and debated endlessly. You might try writing your ideas out in both voices. Try a scene or two in third person. Don't worry about writing well. Think of it as a new instrument you've picked up--you're just trying it out to get a feel for it.

Then write a couple of scenes in first person. Rewrite the originals or write new ones, it won't really matter. My bet is that one will feel more comfortable than the other. Use that one. (I'm especially helpful with the obvious)

Meanwhile, do invest a goodly chunk of time browsing the threads of Mythic Scribes. Veins of gold and silver here, mate.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met Zeppo
Good to have you here.
Named after the nearly forgotten Marx brother?
[and I second what Skip wrote]

Zeppo

Dreamer
Hail and well met Zeppo
Good to have you here.
Named after the nearly forgotten Marx brother?
[and I second what Skip wrote]

Thanks both for the advice. I will give that a try. I have three main characters in my book, so I think 3rd person might be better, but I can also easily go with a single FPP with the main main characters while keeping the other two a little more of a mystery. As you say, there are good arguments for both sides.

As for the name, it is a call out to a Buffy episode, where Cordelia calls Xander the Zeppo.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Those knowledgeable in the ways of Buffy are always welcome.:)
[And that it is one of my favourite episodes from that show]