• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hi, I'm new

ShadeZ

Maester
Hello people of Mythic Scribes, glad to be here, call me Shade. I like writing fantasy, and sci-fi and am currently working on about four different series.

I hope to eventually get them published and definitely consider myself a writer. I have ADD :wavespin: so my attention span doesn't last long enough to just write one story (or an introduction that doesn't jump all over the place:D). I have been writing since I was 12 and was writing fanfic on the Fire Emblem game series before that but eventually the creativity was just TOO MUCH! (in take breath and wait for drama to sink in) Sooooo.... I decided to start working on my own books. I blame my dad for my love of fantasy I'm a daddy's girl and he is an avid fan of D&D, Forgotten Realms, Narnia, LOTR, and some other less known stuff (So naturally I picked up on some of that). My favorite books are the Door Within Series by Wayne Thomas Batson, with ADD I tend to get bored by slow books and stories and that series keeps me on my toes every time I re-read it. More than plot line in writing I believe in developing the world and more importantly the characters in it, many of my stories as a result have mini stories and background history on the characters. Below I have attached an excerpt from one of my books to show my style :cool: and because I alway welcome advice on how to improve my writing (so critiquing is welcomed).

PS. I've been told my grammar needs work so to any grammar nazis, sorry:).

PPS. The story is fantasy and is in a medieval type world with everything from fairies to giants, Dragons to Dragon Slayers, Paladins to Assassins.

WARNING: This excerpt contains blood, violence, and gore

Just A Thing of Myth and Legend

A stranger walked in to the tavern a dark hood hiding his outlandishly pale face. The stranger sat at the bar and lifted a hand which evidently signaled the bar tender to get what was assumed to be his usual a large tankard of the strongest ale in the place. Suddenly in walked a soldier followed by four other such men who all ordered ale as well (though what they ordered was weak and cheap in comparison). Everyone nearby was talking to them hearing them prattle about and brag about their 'training' but the stranger knew raiders when he said them. The leader of the group walked over to the bar to collect the tankards and noticed the silent foreigner.

The leader sneered and walked to the newcomer,"Hey don't you want to congratulate us? Or are you new?" The stranger showed no signs of having heard him and looked almost tensed as if he was hurt or jumpy. The leader shoved the stranger off the seat,"You deaf or dumb or both? Didn't you hear me, maybe a sword will help open your mouth and maybe your guts too." He drew a stained iron blade and swung at the stranger who moved with an otherworldly grace and speed and evaded the blade as he reached under his cloak drawing a sword of his own but his was more like him it was a sleek noble's scimitar of elven steel. The leader swung several more times none made contact with the stranger or his blade which further irritated the raider fighting him. The leader signaled the other four to circle the stranger and he seemed even more in pain and spoke almost a whisper,"Stop.... You need to stop now." The leader laughed and shouted to which the stranger cringed more like he had a dog's sense of hearing,"Hear that boys he wants to have some fun!"

The stranger's demeanor shifted suddenly where the raiders previously thought he was easy prey they suddenly found the tables turned and now this stranger felt like the predator and deny it as they may they had suddenly become the prey. A feral growl came from the strange person and one of the more foolish raiders charged from behind. The hunter spun around a slash across the chest downing the young raider as the stranger's blade touched his neck the cold steel strangely felt like a wolf's teeth at the raider's throat. The stranger pulled the blade back and the raider ran off getting away from the swordsman as fast as he could he seemed to have seen something terrifying that shifted his thinking. The stranger only glanced at two more and they froze as if staring at Medusa once the paralyzing effects stopped they bolted out the door.

The last one was a fighter and the stranger seemed to have been hunting the two of them all this nonsense before now appeared to have only been him thinning the herd. His cool, calm demeanor was unsettling and the notion of killing the raiders seemed to be hardwired in to his nature like a cat hunting rats. He easily disarmed the raider and slashed open his neck before he could even strike back. Blood sprayed all over from the raider's cut neck and by then everyone was paying attention to the fight. The stranger's cloak was now covered in smelly blood but he didn't seem to mind as his attention was on the raider leader who was now VERY worried this stranger didn't seem remotely fazed by blood making the raider question if he was human.

The leader swung but his pose was sloppy and unbalanced compared to the cat like grace of the other who replicated the movement perfectly only he executed the manuver the way it was meant to be pulled off. The stranger's face remained hidden away though as he copied the raider leader 4-5 more times before the leader stopped and grabbed his own hood and jerked it off to see if this copycat would do the same.

The stranger paused then used his arm to pin the leader against the wall by his neck before calmly speaking his voice was dark and laced with almost a hunger or lust like a hungry predator near a crippled wounded stag,"Did you think I would take my hood off? Since you are willing to die to learn what I look like and since it is your last request...." The stranger grabbed his dark hood slowly and flipped it off revealing pale skin and dark hair and more importantly glowing golden cat eyes that chilled the man to the core as he spoke,"W-What are you?" The snow born(northern folk with skin like snow and hair like onyx) replied,"Nothing important. Just a thing of myth and legend."
[/SIZE]

Welcome to Mythic scribes Shade, make yourself at home. Plenty of like-minded people here so dive in, we also have a showcase sub-forum, but I see you've already found it ;)