Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A $100,000 or $10,000 Marketing Budget

Honestly, I am not ready for marketing, so I would just hold onto it and create some more stuff. I have had a few friends who have had success. One has been around to conventions, on her own dime I am sure, and peddled the crap out of her book. I would not call her success epic, but it was mild, and she got her foot in the door. Another submitted and submitted and won in some important competitions. You could find them on the web if you. A few others have gone the indi route, or teamed up with a friends small time publishing company, but there are creating a fairly large volume of work and getting their name out there. I don't know what will work for me. I think everyone's path to success is always unique. But when I watch it happen, I feel I can do it too.

2. Thanks Russ thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by pmmg View Post
    But when I watch it happen, I feel I can do it too.
    I think this is am important point and agree with you totally.

I don't see any reason why one cannot be successful at this stuff, and a positive mindset is important.

When I meet with a successful author and talk with them, I am usually impressed with their intelligence etc, but I find I am usually not completely blown away to an extent that I think "that person is just way smarter than me." They put their pants on one leg at a time, and I don't see why almost anyone who studies and works at it can't be quite successful.
    “Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”- John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I think this is am important point and agree with you totally.

I don't see any reason why one cannot be successful at this stuff, and a positive mindset is important.

When I meet with a successful author and talk with them, I am usually impressed with their intelligence etc, but I find I am usually not completely blown away to an extent that I think "that person is just way smarter than me." They put their pants on one leg at a time, and I don't see why almost anyone who studies and works at it can't be quite successful.
    I have a very serious question here that I have been wanting to ask for years . . . .

Am I really the only person who puts my pants on two legs at a time?
    "Fairy tales are more than true, not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - G. K. Chesterton

Catch My Trope Reboots and Other Articles
    Help us get started with Project Mythlands
    Read With Us in the Anatomy of Fiction Reading Group

Portfolio Entries
    At some point I need to have an intelligent fantasy creature who declares that he puts his pants on six legs at a time, just like everyone else.
    Skip's Writing Tip of the Day: write.
    Visit Altearth or visit my blog
    Historical Background for Fantasy Writers

6. Thanks Devor thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Devor View Post
    I have a very serious question here that I have been wanting to ask for years . . . .

Am I really the only person who puts my pants on two legs at a time?
    Just you and Don Corleone.
    “Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”- John Wayne

8. Thanks skip.knox thanked for this post
    It's a funny expression when you think about it. I contend that absolutely NO ONE puts their pants on one leg at a time literally: they would rip. That, or you'd hurt yourself.
    The anti-Incanus says, "Naturally, I disagree with everything he just said. And I'll always have the last word!"

Portfolio Entries
    Moreover, unless the pants are on both legs, they're not truly on, are they?

It's just barely possible we have wandered off topic.
    Skip's Writing Tip of the Day: write.
    Visit Altearth or visit my blog
    Historical Background for Fantasy Writers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12