• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Marketing - Europe and beyond.

ALB2012

Maester
Does anyone have any marketing tips for selling books in the non UK and non Amazon.com regions, so basically all the other European regions?

Many readers speak and read in English but how does one pitch the books to those markets?
Any clues welcome?

Do those of you which live in these areas see more sales in your own lands or in say Amazon.com and .co.uk regions?

Foah

Troubadour
Well, as a swede all I can say is that it won't be any different marketing to other european countries than it is to market within the UK for you (with the exception of the ability to promote your book locally in book shops/libraries/other physical social points). I use .co.uk all the time and never considered it anything but the European portal for Amazon. So to claim that all european countries except the UK aren't part of the amazon.co.uk region/market isn't completely accurate. At least that's how I interpreted your text.

My suggestions is to find the social communities online where your writing can fit in - share some previews and market it directly. Since I'm assuming you're self publishing and don't have a 6 or 7 figure bank account at your disposal for marketing, social media over the internet is THE way to go :) Just keep looking for those communities and become part of them.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I don't think you have a real path for breaking that barrier without professional assistance. People around the world have very different interests, and speaking English isn't necessarily the same as reading the same English-language literature. Of course any website you participate in may have non-UK/US visitors which you can appeal to, but I don't think many people would be equipped to handle the task of marketing to them specifically in a way that makes the best use of your time.

Does Amazon.com not sell outside the US/UK? Don't they have an international version of the site?

ALB2012

Maester
Amazon has stores in France, German, Italy, Spain and Brazil, plus now I believe India has its own store. I suppose the English-reading market is simply smaller there.

Foah, well as I market it through mostly online stuff then it doesn't seem to be working:) Ah well maybe I keep trying and see if there are any more English reading groups. I suppose as Devor mentions it may be something unlikely to happen.

Thanks.

ALB2012

Maester
Well yes... obviously. It is still hard to get sales in those countries. How does one target those markets?