• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

NaNoWriMo Alternative?

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I'm a big proponent of NaNoWriMo as I've been doing it for 5 or 6 years now. However, this will be the year I don't do it. Why? I just feel like getting 50,000 words in a month isn't the goal I want to achieve anymore. I'm going to try something different and I'm wondering if anyone would like to join in.

My proposal is to write with intense furor for two weeks and then edit the hell out of it for two weeks throughout November. The goal is to basically have a first draft completed in two weeks. This means the goal would be more along the lines of longish short story or a novella (around 15,000-30,000 words) Then the following two weeks will be spent focusing on edits. This means at the end of the month you wouldn't have a first draft, you'd have a complete, polished work in November. The goal is certainly smaller, but more focused.

If anyone is interested in joining in, I'll probably start a thread in November on the forum. Not sure what I'm going to call it yet, but my hope is that I'll have something ready to submit in one month.

Thoughts?

C

Chessie

I'm totally down for this. It would be a fresh approach to NaNo.

Ruby

Auror
I might be interested in doing this. The writing group I'm with from the two Nano camps this year are all "Nano rebels". We want to finish writing and editing our existing WIPs, irrespective of WordCount.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I think I've decided I'd like to try a short novella for this idea. I think I'll have my edits on my WIP wrapped up by the end of November and I'll be ready to tackle a new project. However, I don't want it to be anything super long, so a novella might just be the ticket. I'll have to brainstorm some ideas though because most of the ideas I have lined up right now are all novel length ideas.