• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Just signed up

Tom

Istar
I just signed up for NaNoWriMo for the first time. I'm sorta excited but mostly nervous. Very, very nervous.

...and in desperate need of advice.

Fyle

Inkling
I just signed up for NaNoWriMo for the first time. I'm sorta excited but mostly nervous. Very, very nervous.

Ya, I signed up to... I just would like some advice on how to use the site. I am nervous that I won't get a 50,000 word piece done in time... I will try.

Hey guys.

I signed up again this year, after completing 50,000 words in the NICK of time last year. Im excited to see some newcomers from Mythic Scribes, and wish you guys the BEST of luck.

Ill be working on "King Dogugora The Mighty: Part 2," the second half of the fantasy fiction novel i started last year. On the subject of its content, I can see about as far into the future as one can see the road through a frosted windshield.

If you guys have any questions, ask away, and ill do my best to answer as accurately and helpfully as possible. If you're looking for a "Writing Buddy" on the nano site, hit me up; I'm Jackarandajam on there as well.

Like i said, the only stupid question is "Can I ask a question?"

Of course you can. We're Scribes.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

Istar
I have an idea, but I'm afraid that after milking it for all it's worth I'll run out of material short of the 50,000 mark. I also have a very short attention span (see below signature). Are NaNo and ADD compatible??

My novel's working title is "Bucking the System", and over at the NaNo site I'm M Schiller.

Last edited:

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
so I'm writing a article about nano for this site right now and it'll be live next week. I will link it here when it's finished, but don't sweat nano. It's for fun, a good cabin is half the battle, and if you don't make the goal, you don't receive a visit from the nano police or anything. :) Nano can hep motivate you, help give you a deadline and goal, and help you tie up your inner editor and lock him in a closet for four weeks. It's a good idea to try it even if it feels impossible. I'm lucky to be a stay at home mom, so I can sort of find time for four weeks by playing cartoons on the TV nonstop and giving away fruit snacks whenever I need a few minutes to finish a page, but it's not an easy challenge for anyone. However, I found that after two nano seasons (November 2011 and August 2012), I had a complete novel. So wow. A whole novel in eight weeks...cool! And, the best part was that I got used to the pace, so on any good month I can pull out 50k words when I really give it an honest effort. Nice to know. If I hadn't tried nano, I never would have pushed myself like that.

C

Chessie

No need to be nervous! NaNoWriMo is great. Its good fun to be writing a book at the same time as many other writers. The collective energy is inspiring. I'm also doing it again this year, gonna put my name in the other thread in case anyone wants to add me as a buddy. :D

SugoiMe

Closed Account
I don't know whether to be happy, sad, or what for this year. Last year, I had most of my story fleshed out. This year, it's all up in my head. Ah well, I've still got a week to plan. It'd be nice to win again this year. We'll see what happens.

The best thing about NaNo is writing alongside people from all over the world from all walks of life, all coming together for a common cause. Fun times!

I have an idea, but I'm afraid that after milking it for all it's worth I'll run out of material short of the 50,000 mark. I also have a very short attention span (see below signature). Are NaNo and ADD compatible??

My novel's working title is "Bucking the System", and over at the NaNo site I'm M Schiller.

When I started my novel, I thought I was writing a 30,000 word story. When I hit the 50k mark, I realized I was only halfway through; what I thought couldn't possibly even take 15k to flesh out SNOWBALLED into 50k!
Don't sell yourself short; you probably have a lot more up there than even YOU know, and once you really meet and get to know your characters, you can be sure they'll stamp their feet and demand more airtime.
When I started writing the story last nano, I had one character, a single sentence plot line and an interesting ending. Now I have a story, and I honestly can thank nano for that.

Also, don't worry if your story runs out of steam. Give it your best, but if it doesn't play out and you get a better or simply a different idea, switch and count all the words. It's not cheating, as long as YOU are writing 50k honest story words within the deadline. Some people write one 1600+/- short story a day; it doesn't matter if they're unrelated. You could write 50k words worth of haiku's, if thats what you're into. The idea is to teach your brain word vomit.

Hopefully, eventually, good word vomit.

Last edited:

sankunai

Scribe

It will be my first time entering too! I'm working heavily already on one novel, but I've also been wanting to write another. NaNoWriMo gives me the perfect excuse to start it. I wouldn't stress too much about it. Even if you don't make the 50k word limit, you'll still have a good chunk of a novel written!