• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Want to enter NaNoWriMo but

Fyle

Inkling
I have not completed a novel yet... I have been working on my WIP for over a year now, and I have 1-2 chapters to go and have been editing everyday at least 2-3 hours a day. I am scared if I put it aside and do a project for NaNoWriMo, I will lose momentum... :confused:

Of course, these are questions ultimately we must find an answer for ourselves, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice or a similar situation.

Thanks!

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I frequently set things aside and sometimes I do so after I've lost momentum and sometimes it causes me to lose momentum, and sometimes I'm just fine and pick it up like there was no pause.

One thing about nano. It doesn't require anything but word count. One nano camp, I made a master word doc and everything I wrote got copied/ pasted into it, that included an MS article, three short stories, an Iron Pen entry, and the six or seven chapters I wrote and edited for my novel. If you want to finish your novel during nano, start there and include those words in your word count goal! And also, if you write chapter 16 Tuesday, and then edit it on Thursday, changing a whole scene, include those words, too! Nano is not writer jail. You're free to write any 50k words you want. Hope you join us!

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
There are people every year who are "rebels" and they write whatever they want. That's my point of view from here on out. I write constantly anyway, but November is special for me since I've always written something since 2008. So while I'm not going to be writing 50K, I do plan to use the time wisely. It's fun to do and there's a great community here and on the NaNoWriMo site.