• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Camp NaNoWriMo 2016

C

Chessie

Hi, is anyone doing camp in April this year? I know the idea is to get "cabins" on the NaNo page but I've always found that confusing and wanted to start a thread for our Mythic Scribes members doing the challenge. You can set your own word count for the month and can work on any project. Would anyone else like to join in? We can post our project titles, a bit of info on what you'd like to achieve, and update here throughout the month. You can also find more information on here.

Velka

Sage
I've signed up, user name Velka. Not sure what I'm going to use the camp for; still deciding on whether to set a word count target for my WIP or to use the month to work on one of two new story ideas (one of them being the story I wrote for the Top Scribe challenge).

I've never participated in NaNo or the spring/summer camps, but I thought this would be a good way to get a feel for the process and see if I want to jump in next November.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I am signed up. The NaNo months are when I have chosen to work on my longer (35,000+ word) rough drafts. This time around, it's 'Empire: Metropolis,' fourth in the 'Empire' series. Alas, for a whole slew of reasons, I am not going to finish the rewrite/edit of the first in that series before starting on the fourth.

I am 'Thinker 102' on NaNo.

Because of Camp NaNo, I will be giving participants in the next 'Top Scribe' the full month of April and then some to work on their stories. I'll post the prompts for that tonight or tomorrow.

Chilari

Staff
Okay, I'm doing it. Aiming for 30,000 words - I know I can average 1,000 a day because I did in November. More achievable than 50,000. Also in April: I'm gonna learn French. Well, spend a certain amount of time each day attempting to learn French via Duolingo. So it's going to be a busy month. I've got the momentum on my novel, and 30,000 words should get me through a fair chunk of it. It'll triple what I've got so far.

I'm Chilari there too.

Aspasia

Sage
I'm doing Camp! Got about 800 words, most of them suck (stressful day, no sleep, and it's been a loooong time since I tried to write a novel). My MC's last name is Knifehand (WTH), her current best insult is to wish someone's pants caught fire, and all my chars have spent most of the last 700 words glaring at each other and everything else in the tavern. Yes, I started in a tavern. I think the theme for this NaNo is "just get some (*^@$(* words on the page".

Tomorrow if I still find the setting/situation boring, I'm going to start doing dares. I WILL get past my dreaded 5k story slump, even if I have to turn every character into a Pokemon Master to do it!

Fortunately, I'm easily amused. This story might be the stupidest thing I ever write, but if I can stick to the thing long enough maybe I can get my writing streak back. No pressure writing--it ALREADY sucks, so what's to fear?

Less than six hours sleep is very bad for me, I tell you.

I'm silicon on NaNo. Already in a cabin, but I never participate much on them anyway. Good luck to everyone as we dive in to Day 2!

Last edited:

Velka

Sage
Got 1316 words written yesterday. Good start towards my 30,000 goal. Weekends are usually the most unproductive writing days for me though, so I'm hoping going over 1000 every weekday will help keep my word count on track.

C

Chessie

Day 2 of Camp NaNo! Anyone up for some fishing? Fishing for words...that is! :D

As of this morning I'm at 4579 words out of my 60k goal. This is my only project now that I'm no longer on deadline so I can breathe a little easier. Whew. Got my coffee and the keyboard set up on my tablet which means an entire morning/afternoon of writing. My goal is 3k for the day the rest of April. Given that writing is my job now, there's no excuse to do anything less. (btw my cabin isn't all that talkative but there's other fantasy writers in there so that's cool)

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I signed up today, no telling whether I'll actually do anything. If anyone has a cabin going, I'm anihow

Aspasia

Sage
Wrote a sensible opening, which I actually kind of like. Strange how words flow so much easier with pen and paper for me than typed! I haven't counted up. Hope everyone's stories are going well!

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Another 600 words today, which got Chapter One finished and Chapter Two started. I have a fair idea as to Chapter Two's sequence, but Chapter Three...

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Well, up to 3300 words, which is almost on target.

Chapter Two is done or nearly so - I'm debating adding a few additional paragraphs. Chapter Three...my internal movie projector is showing mostly blank screens there. I might do a quick stub of a few hundred words and then jump straight into Chapter Four.

Aspasia

Sage
Nothing today ... had to be an adult and do responsible things that kept me away from my notebook all day. Maybe tomorrow!

C

Chessie

I'm at 6453 for today but was hoping to make it past 7k. My mind is shot though...so maybe I'll just watch some Forensic Files, hit the hay, and wake up hella early to push out some words. I'm also kind of stuck in my story right now so sleeping on it might be the best thing.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
can I get an invite to the mythic cabin? I'm anihow. I got put into a random cabin and just opted out of it, so I could accept a new invite.

Nimue

Auror
A friend's wedding ate my weekend, so I'm just getting started here! But I would like to do April NaNo, though probably not the cabin stuff. I'm aiming for about 12k words, back up to my rate in March.

I'm being reminded of just how much I love this story... No matter my word count, I've got the warm fuzzies. ^^

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
can I get an invite to the mythic cabin? I'm anihow. I got put into a random cabin and just opted out of it, so I could accept a new invite.

I am not in a cabin at the moment. Focus is on writing. About 400 words so far today, hope to top a thousand.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Another 1100 words tonight. Still on track.

Added another dozen paragraphs to chapter two. Chapter three turned into more of a stub than I realized, have to figure something there. And I got off to a messy start on chapter four.

Getting into character name issues. (Always a pain with me.) I have lists and lists, but they're never long enough, and some of these characters are carryovers from earlier novellas in this series.

C

Chessie

Wow, Thinker. Already kicking ass. :p

@Maiden, I'm in a cabin but not participating much. I've typed more here lol.

I've come down with a case of chest cold. Sick. Both the cats are sick (been giving them turns of homeopathic medicine which isn't going well because they love to scratch). My husband? He's off hiking a huge mountain. Sigh.

I'm at 7577 but am about to start writing for the day. My hope is to get past the 10k mark, so about six 30 min sprints. Got massively stuck last night but ended up doing about 300 words more after doing some reading. Still stuck but I'll get myself out of this corner yet.

Velka

Sage
Wrote absolutely nothing on the weekend, but I did other fun things (and a few not so fun things - ugh, wedding shower party). Last night was all writing, unfortunately it was work related. Tonight I'm hoping to finish off the work writing and salvage some time for my writing... we'll see.