• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Favorite NaNoWriMo Resources?

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
What are your favorite online resources for NaNoWriMo? Let's create an authoritative list of the best resources on the net.

The list can include articles, forums, online tools, blogs, etc. If you list a blog, include a few articles from it that are especially helpful for NaNoWriMo.

At the end of this week, the list will be organized, edited, and posted as an article on the Mythic Scribes blog.

Thanks in advance!

Robert Eggleton

Seriously considering it this year. I'm retired. I'm looking forward to checking back to see what resources are available. It almost start-time!

For a ton of idea generators, there's the definitive idea generator site: Seventh Sanctum - Welcome To The Page Of Generators!

You'll find links to a bunch of other generator sites on the Seventh Sanctum site, including a link to my own site (Eposic), a prior incarnation of which was the inspiration for Seventh Sanctum, as I'm sure Steve Savage will verify if you ask. But the link he gives you to my site sends your browser to my home page. Here's the link that goes directly to my Generators category page: Generators ? @Eposic ? The Troll Mystic

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
This site has been used for Challenge stories here from time to time, but it also offers other options:

Chaotic Shiny - Mashup Mashup Generator

From the 'Law Generator'

The penalty for endangering a hunting bird is a moderate fine.

The penalty for a foreigner destroying body parts is whipping.

The penalty for accepting bribes is a small fine.

The penalty for a priest attacking a guild leader is the loss of a limb.

A randomly created modern person

Name: Eleanor Lewis
Profession: plumber

Height: average
Body Type: stocky
Features: strong
Eyes: green
Hair: very short, black

Annoyed by: fancy parties
Sucker For: shiny stuff

Favorite Sin: envy
Favorite Virtue: humility

Household: cat, boyfriend

Favorite season: winter

Some stalls in a bazaar

Stall 1: glassworking and carpentry
Quality: average Price: low Variety: below average
Haggling: goes much better for males Owner: male, annoyed, unusual hairstyle
Stall Type: tables and wheelbarrows

Stall 2: spell wands and spell components
Quality: high Price: below average Variety: average
Haggling: goes much better for males Owner: female, elderly, gestures wildly and a female, grouchy, klutsy
Stall Type: tables and wheelbarrows

Stall 3: perfumes, gifts and gemstones
Quality: above average Price: very high Variety: below average
Haggling: only for the expensive items Owner: female, smug, peppers speech with foreign words
Stall Type: several tables with goods arranged

Stall 4: ceremonial weapons
Quality: average Price: above average Variety: average
Haggling: goes much better for males Owner: female, young, mildy racist
Stall Type: wheelbarrow and some baskets

Stall 5: cats and exotic animal parts
Quality: average Price: below average Variety: below average
Haggling: only for the cheap items Owner: male, nervous, twitches
Stall Type: several carts full of wares

Stall 6: maces
Quality: average Price: average Variety: above average
Haggling: is expected Owner: male, distressed, bows and makes courtly guestures and a male, hopeful, many tattoos
Stall Type: permanent structure (locked at night)

Partaking of some of these meals might require medical attention afterward. Still

Stir-fried small flat rice noodles with ensete, albatross and celery. Served with cardamom bread with honey, rum, durian pie and gouda.

Baked large flat wheat noodles with lemon juice, dolichos bean, rat and deer with a salad of diced prussian asparagus, sauteed asparagus and rhubarbs. Served with salted jarlsberg and apple pie.

Fried boar shank with bay leaves, sumac and beaked hazelnuts. Served with soft boiled eggs, cognac, brioche with jam and salted chevre.

Steamed rice noodles with mink, tumeric and mulberry with a salad of steamed fat hen and oranges. Served with red wine, brie and brown bread with butter.

Roasted hawk with pomegranates and mulberries. Served with pear cider and havarti.

And the list goes on...and on...

Mostly useful for quick background stuff.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
We had to change around the schedule, so this list will now run in mid-November.

Any more favorite resources?