• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Nano 2016 Motivation and Confession Thread

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Here's a new thread if anyone wants to give status updates, motivation, or whatever on a clean chalkboard.

I've decided updating my word count here doesn't make much sense, since I'm probably just going to suck anyways, so I'm using smilies to convey how I'm doing.

:cloud9:

Tom

Istar
I...haven't even written anything yet. Ahahahaha. At school I was working on an overdue project during my lunch break, and right now I'm wasting time and texting a friend. Should probably get my ass into gear.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I got up early, and have been at it on and off throughout the day. I've written just over 2400 words of story, or two chapters. It's not as much as I had planned/hoped, but my eyelids are growing heavy.

It's not been a very efficient day though, and I think I could probably do more if I interrupt myself less with random crap I don't need to bother with.

I also cut about a third of a chapter - no more than 400 words - because I came up with a better idea for the narrative voice of the story. It's going to be interesting to see how that pans out in the long run. Will it work, or is it just a silly gimmick?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
1839 words so far! We'll see if I can add to that number after supper, or when the siblings are in bed.

Fluffypoodel

Inkling
October certainly wasn't my month but I'm feeling very good about November. Just sitting down to write what I hope to be a very productive session. Wish me luck!

I...haven't even written anything yet. Ahahahaha. At school I was working on an overdue project during my lunch break, and right now I'm wasting time and texting a friend. Should probably get my ass into gear.

I'm in the same boat. Worked from 8:30 to 5. Now just commuting home. I'll probably start writing at like 9.

Reactions: Tom
C

Chessie

Wow, some impressive numbers! My husband just turned on the World Series so it's time for me to write now haha.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I forgot today was nano...so that's my excuse for not doing anything. I spent two hours at the Halloween store today, buying stuff I can only find this time of year. I think I'm going to be Rainbow Dash next year (if my 6yo daughter doesn't steal the pieces from me). Anyways...too much funner stuff to do atm, so writing is waiting till I get some peace when kids are in bed.

As promised, here's my smiley: :oops:

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Checking in!

At my coffee shop with my $5.00 coffee. I dressed up and told my hubby and kids I was going to "work" lol.

Down to business.

Goal: 1700 words.

Queshire

Auror
Ended up deciding to make my current project a NaNo mostly since I was starting it right around NaNo time anyways. Day 1 report: ended up wasting hours playing Skyrim instead of writing. Still, I'm back from work now so time to start in on it. Huzzah!

C

Chessie

Skyrim remastered just came out so that's a good excuse as any. :D

I'm so glad I wrote ahead for this. Tonight only 250 words. One hotel room + a rowdy husband watching baseball= Chessie can't write worth a darn. I was interrupted numerous times...UGH! And I'm traveling 15 hours tomorrow but at least we're finally going home. I'm not the kind of writer that can work anywhere which is rather annoying. I miss my computer, my Scrivener, my home, my kitties who hang out with me when I write. At least I'm not behind and then I can start pumping out some words on Thursday. Writing ahead has me at 3450.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

Istar
1818 words!! I'm so happy! I honestly thought I wouldn't be able to write anything today--when I got home from school all I wanted to do was keel over onto my bed and sleep. This is really exciting. :)

Gribba

Troubadour
3804 words so far... and I did not prepare... I see now, maybe I should have, but hey... my first time so what do I know... :D

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Signing out: Success! Did just over my 1700 word goal.

Excerpt from tonight:

There was something strange about it. Still pushing against the door I tried to examine the light, but the brightness made it impossible. Painful.

It was not real sunlight. This sunlight had substance. When I looked closely at the edge, where the light met the darkness of my bedroom, I could see each particle of light as if it were a grain of sand.

Glowing sand, radiating a deep yellow glow that illuminated everything.

It poured through the crack in the door and settled onto my soaking wet carpet. My desk. My dresser.

The tiny glowing orbs settled onto the floor like smoldering dust.

I wanted to touch it. The glowing sand swirled around my bare feet. It felt like light. Warm. It was not grainy. It was not scratchy or soft like sand would be. It existed, yet didn’t exist.

I reached out to touch it.

“Andy, don't touch it.” My dad. Screaming from the kitchen.

I jerked my hand back.

The particles pouring through the window started to pile up. The tiny balls of light reached my ankles. Invisible winds licked the tops of the shimmering sand and pulled it through my calves, around my shins, coating my legs in a dusting of light.

But then the particles started to pull me down, into the carpet, like glowing quick sand.

Panicking, I tried to raise my legs, but the light held fast, sucking at my ankles, melting me into the floor.

I found myself at the center of a maelstrom. Glowing white now, the dust battered my small bedroom. A tempest.

The sucking light was up to my waist. My legs no longer existed.

The kitchen was dead silent.

Surrounded in glowing golden dust I couldn’t see anything. But I did feel something.

Something like a freezing tongue protruded beneath the door where I lay, buried in quick sand, and licked me.

Last edited:

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Nothing fancy, but here's what I'm working on. My character is about to wake up in a field, naked. Some kids found her:

“Go on, then. Give it a touch.”

“I bet she’s stone cold.”

“You’s stone cold if you don’t stop covering your eyes. Look, there ain’t even no blood. Whatever killed her left her tits perfect well alone.”

“Then you touch her!”

“It ain’t me what never had my hands up a girl’s shirt.”

“You’re a liar and a…a…a coward, I reckon.”

“Oh yeah? And you’s a cat in a ham basket. One day you gonna be tired of watchin’ everyone else do everything.”

“It’s hand basket, dummy. Gimme that stick.”

Raisa’s eyes opened and she recognized the cold that had seeped into her bones. It wasn’t the first time she’d felt the frigid touch of a winter death. With breath slow and extremities numb, she tried to rise.

“Oh shit! It’s alive!” a young voice cried.

A sharp jab hit Raisa in the ribs and someone leaned over her.

:sleep:

Alright, that's it, calling it at 2003 words. Man just got conked on the noggin and his head is still scrambled as he chases after his son's kidnappers. It's crappy but here is the last paragraph of the chapter.

The slick stones of his stoop and his scrambled mind combined to make him fall down the familiar steps and onto the street below. Wyet groaned as he crawled in the direction he saw the dark shapes go. But the dark of night and the now pouring rain soon obscured them from sight. Still he crawled, trying to stand. Yelling for help. Praying for help. Knowing that it wouldn’t come in time. Those men had taken his son. Those men had made their last mistake. Wyet continued to crawl.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Ugh. I have an incomplete, badly flawed outline and a near total lack of motivation. Plus I have RL issues and I further distracted myself with some books that arrived recently. But...600 words, so far. No idea how I'm going to resolve some major plot/sequence issues. Maybe just write around them.

Tom

Istar
Not sure if I'll have time to write at school today. I might have to finish up a design project over my lunch break, depending on how productive class time is. Hopefully I can find some time.