• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Huntresses Attack Monsters! RPG

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Coming eventually...

From that guy who made HAM2D, a new RPG is in the works loosely based on Phil Overby's "Endless Hunt" (with permission) and starring an all-heroine cast.

The game is "Huntresses Attack Monsters!" (HAM2D6 for short), which will be ready to play at some point after I've drawn all the heroines.

Here are the first 4 of 10…
HAM2D6-Huntress-with-Arrow.png

The HUNTRESS makes her living providing food and clothing for villages, but what good are meat and animal skins if all the villagers keep getting stomped on by monsters? She ventures into the wilderness, bent on making the world's most dangerous predators become her prey.

HAM2D6-Barbierian-blue.png

The AMAZON is a towering mass of painted muscle who uses her blades to conquer small armies, big monsters, even bigger mountains, and pretty much anything that can be conquered.

HAM2D6-Nymph-with-Pixie-Stick-XXL.png

The NYMPH was literally born yesterday in an adult body. A Huntress found her and gave the Nymph food, clothing and Words. Of these gifts, Words are her favorite. Whenever she says Words to men, they listen and obey!

HAM2D6-Iron-Maiden-nite-owl.png

The IRON MAIDEN is a construct with a living soul. Who created her? And for what purpose? All this will be revealed when HAM2D6 goes live...!

And when will that be? Uh... That'll also be revealed when HAM2D6 goes live. The forum will go live, then I'll be like, "hey, it's live."

Last edited:

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I'm going to do a major overhaul of the system (which you have not yet seen) before going live. I also cut the number of heroines to six so I can focus on making each that much more interesting and unique. So the classes are the Huntress, Amazon, Nymph and Iron Maiden, as seen above, plus two more:

HAM2D6-Fairy-hammer.png

The FAIRY is cute as a button and not much bigger. Her hammer is a glorified pebble and her arrows are like toothpicks, but her magic can topple a colossal beast! Eventually.

HAM2D6-Fighting-Nun-spider-hand.png

The FIGHTING NUN is a master of Wire-Fu, which is actually a fighting style used by entertainers to simulate the flying combat only a fairy could accomplish without bladed wires. But a true Wire-Fu master choke-slams her enemies in addition to flying around. That, and she can drink a barbarian under the table…

…and that's why the drunken Olympian, Dionysius, keeps pestering the nun even though she keeps telling him that she wants nothing to do with such a broken pantheon.

And it is broken. Zeus is a total dick, so now the Olympians have split into factions. Athena was the first to move against her father as she was disgusted at the way the Amazons were treated by his out-of-control demigod bastards.

Apollo remained loyal to Zeus, but his sister Artemis refused to abandon the Huntresses. She always thought Nymphs were the perfect hunting companions, so she managed to convince Aphrodite to go back to her husband, Hephaestus. (This was probably accomplished by hunting down and killing all the men Aphrodite slept with, but Arty didn't have the heart to tell Heph.)

As for Hermes, he tried to remain neutral, but found out the hard way that Zeus tends to shoot the messenger when he doesn't like the message. Thus he is no longer a messenger for Zeus, nor does he consider himself a god anymore. He has instead crowned himself King of the Fairies, and he hopes all this in-fighting will blow over soon so he can slip on his winged sandals and get back to his old job…

Uh, which he can do right after you win the game of…
fairy__crash___by_legendarysidekick-d9x2dsz.png

Huntresses Attack Monsters!
Monsters! Monsters!

Last edited:

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Yeah... I'll be smarter this time and not draw ANYTHING!

You can play Ariel if you want, and assume her parents succeeded in their mission to protect the child goddess. Well... up to you. Choose a heroine and we'll go from there!

P.S.- I dare say this will be more fun. Now I better live up to that!

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
So far, we have three players, and they're proving to be an awesome team for three women who don't know each other. If anyone else is interested, I highly recommend choosing a heroine not yet in play. Iron Maiden, Fairy and Fighting Nun are left. Respectively, that's a robot with a soul, a six-inch magical girl, and a woman who fights like a non-evil Darth Vader (using fine wires instead of magic).

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Here's an update, since I noticed a couple newer members lurking here and in the Huntress Attack Monster threads.

Ireth and tbgg have been helping me test a card game I'm very-gradually working on. There are four player characters and—if I really do go for it and make a physical game with lots of cards and custom dice that have little swords and shields and stuff on them—the characters would have very simple stats like this:
Huntress_S_S.png

Amazon_S_S.png

Nymph_S_S.png

Fairy_S_S.png

Oh... right. I added little stories, just to kind of give an idea of what I was thinking about the characters as I drew them. If you play you get to write your own backstory, really, and the character doesn't have to look like how I drew her. The one I drew is simply a representative of her race or class.

Anyway, I'm still working on artwork for all of the Lv.1-4 abilities. That would be enough to support a virtual test. The full game would of course have a MONSTER deck, and also an ATTACK deck for different kinds of spells and other fun stuff, like ships and vehicles. (In our test, our players piloted a giant robot and a mechanical fly.)

I'll actively seek other players once I have the artwork done, but anyone interested in playing the game while I'm in that flaky stage where I keep tweaking things is welcome to PM me. I currently have no Amazon or Fairy player, if you prefer to play a class that's not already in play. (Ireth plays a Huntress and tbgg plays a nymph.)

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
While there's no guarantee the text will stay as it is, here are some ability cards—2 of 3 for the amazon and all 4 of the fairy's:
Amazon_BLOODY.png

The amazon either defends twice or attacks twice. Normally you get one attack and one defense roll.

Shield Fighter lets you roll an extra defense roll to save your friends from damage if they failed to defend. But then you can't attack.

Dual Strike lets you hit twice, but you won't be able to defend if the monster's in any shape to hit back. If you can stun the monster, this isn't really a gamble.

Fairy_CUTE.png

The fairy gets an ability at Lv.1 called "size matters." It's just a reminder that she weighs a percent of a pound, so she shouldn't expect to harm a monster by stabbing it with a toothpick. Some RPGs have fairies, pixies, etc. that use pixie dust as a means of charming foes or making them sleep, dance, etc.

The fairy would either cast magic, or she can "fight" or "shoot" to slap or fling fairy dust at a monster. I won't explain the combat system we're working with. Suffice to say, a colossal beast won't be easy to humiliate with fairy dust attacks.

Mood Wings is my way of saying fairies change color when they change moods, and the GM may need to save her tiny, overly-emo butt.

Fairy_SHOOT.png

The fairy and Huntress both have archery abilities that let you take advantage of surprise attacks (which is what you get if you're a successful hunter) and winning initiative at shooting range.

The fairy can cast Thunderbird and Fire Bird, which are elemental attacks that come with mounts. But if the player wants a pet or animal companion or whatever, that's fine. Basically, at some point from Lv.2 to Lv.4, the fairy shoots arrows that hurt.

So that's all the artwork for now. Oh, and the backs of the HUNTRESS, ATTACK and MONSTER decks look like this:
HAM_Decks.png

Last edited: