• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Vision for Mythic Scribes

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Dear friends,

If you're reading this, you have discovered Mythic Scribes. This is, as you can tell, a new community. And it's still in the "beta-test" phase, so to speak. We're still tweaking and modifying the software. And more importantly, we're making adjustments to our content and structure.

Mythic Scribes is very much a seed at the moment. But with time and care, we will grow into something of significance. You, as a community member, play a vital role in this process.

The goal of this site is simple: to create a thriving community of fantasy writers and fans. And in the process, I hope to build this into a platform for authors to find mutual inspiration and eventually promote their work.

Right now is the beginning. Over the next 2-3 weeks we'll be making some improvements to the forum. During this time your feedback will play an invaluable role in preparing us for a public launch. If things go smoothly, we intend to initiate a marketing campaign in mid-February.

We also have a vision for the site home page. At the moment it only features articles by yours truly. I would, however, like to feature articles from other community members on a semi-regular basis. If you are interested in contributing an article, please see our submission guidelines. I believe that showcasing voices other than my own will further enrich the site.

So thank you, again, for being with us in these early stages. Your suggestions and feedback are crucial at this stage of the game. And if we continue on this road together, we may one day accomplish something far greater than we ever dreamed.

Tony

Legerdemain

Troubadour
Tony, I salute you, let the testing begin!

Though the scope of this project is to focus on a narrow subgroup of what we know as "the internet", being a member of that subgroup I applaud your effort.

As a thoughtful discussion of fantasy this website could be entertaining and educational to both writers and readers alike, with writers honing their skills while readers learn the frustration that goes into creating believable fantasy.

As it is, realistic fantasy is part of modern oxymora, yet without characters and settings that are at least comprehensible, people have a difficult time immersing themselves in the work. Tolkien spent most of his life making a world that people could understand, and to create that world he had to write not only the stories, but the histories, languages, and geology of an entire world to make something that readers would appreciate at a high level. He had a group of readers and writers help him flush out his ideas, and without that help, we may never have traveled to Mount Doom.

In short, there is nothing harder to believe then someone who writes fantasy with mastery the first time every time, and all writers need to draft, rethink, and unwind some of their loopholes before their story is complete. This forum will help writers have that opportunity, as long as readers are willing to believe the unbelievable. Cheers Tony, let this site flourish!

Chris

Greybeard

Minstrel
This sounds lik a wonderful endeavor. Mythic Scribes is proving to be a splendid place, with a colorful cast of characters.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
I'm thinking that next weekend, around Feb. 11, will be the time to announce this puppy to the world in a big way.

Taree

That sounds really good. I can't wait to see how many people join in the discussion. So far, I really like the site.

Simbelmyne

Dreamer
Hello all, I am brand new here. I have to say I have learned more in one day's reading here about writing than I've learned in an entire year participating in a writers' community!!!

Lavender

Minstrel
I'm finding this community really helpful to me as a writer. I get really constructive and honest replies from people who answer my questions in the Writing Questions section. Everyone is very friendly too :)
It's wonderful to find somewhere with like-minded people who understand the joy of writing fantasy fiction.

Reaver

Staff
Very cool stuff

Thanks for making a forum where Fantasy Writers can get together and share ideas and advice. I look forward to visiting often and learning all there is to learn about this craft.

Simbelmyne

Dreamer
Welcome Reaver. Nice to see someone else from Washington! I personally haven't been on here in a long time, but am hoping to get back and interact with everyone here. :)

Reaver

Staff
Thanks for the welcome, Simbelmyne...I also look forward to interacting with everyone. I'm currently working on a piece to submit for everyone to check out and give me critiques/advice on. Are you working on anything? If so, any wisdom on fantasy writing you're willing to impart? Hope you have a great Holiday weekend.:)

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I want to thank you Tony and all the other moderators and contributors to Mythic Scribes. I, like many others, have been looking for a place like this for a long time. I love the supportive environment, especially the "no trolling allow" rule. That's a big plus for me.

In any case, I love this place and look forward to seeing it grow and flourish.

Thanks!

I want to thank you Tony and all the other moderators and contributors to Mythic Scribes. I, like many others, have been looking for a place like this for a long time. I love the supportive environment, especially the "no trolling allow" rule. That's a big plus for me.

In any case, I love this place and look forward to seeing it grow and flourish.

Thanks!

What he said. Except I don't exactly know what trolling is. It sounds kind of sucky though. So what he said. ;)

Last edited:

Kelise

Maester
What he said. Except I don't exactly know what trolling is. It sounds bad kind of sucky though. So what he said. ;)

Trolling is basically when people act like jerks on purpose, wanting a reaction and to start a fight. Acting like trolls.

Though now whenever I hear the word trolls, I think of the first Harry Potter. And the way it was acted in the movie.

'TROLLLLLLLL! IN THE DUNGEON! ....Thought you outta know... *faint*'

Trolling is basically when people act like jerks on purpose, wanting a reaction and to start a fight. Acting like trolls.

Though now whenever I hear the word trolls, I think of the first Harry Potter. And the way it was acted in the movie.

'TROLLLLLLLL! IN THE DUNGEON! ....Thought you outta know... *faint*'

Makes sense, I was somewhere along that line of reasoning. I liked your impersonation though. And thanks again, guys.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Thanks for starting this, Tony. I find the challenge forum to be especially fun! I really enjoy the enthusiasm and creativity of the other members!
-John

Sparkie

Auror
The forums here have been a great aid to me in rediscovering my love of writing, so I just wanted to thank everyone who makes this site such a terrific support to fantasy writers. Whether you are staff, members, moderators, or whatever, I have to express my appreciation for the hard work and time it takes to make this one of the best creative outlets\resources for fantasy enthusiasts.

Please keep it up! There are others, I'm sure, who feel the same way as I do. Perhaps you may feel that your efforts are in vain, or that your work is taken for granted. Rest assured, it's not. I know you've really helped me, and I wish there was some way I could show my support besides posting on this thread. But I'll continue to try to encourage and aid my fellow members as best I can.

Thanks again, all. This is a great site!