• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Worldsmyths- a haven for fantasy writers

JediKnightMuse

Troubadour
Hi everyone. I previously posted asking for suggestions for categories for a new community for fantasy writers that I made, and now I'm happy to announce that the website, Worldsmyths, is finished and open for everyone to join!

signature_zpspzy5y5sr.jpg

Worldsmyths is a non-role playing community for writers that focus on the fantasy genre. Whether you want to discuss fantasy writing in general or are looking for others to interact with, if you enjoy the fantasy genre and writing stories in it, this is the place for you.

Features:
*Writing discussion
*Writing prompts
*Writing challenges
*Beta reading
*Games
*Members only library
*Friendly staff and members

Worldsmyths || Twitter || Facebook

We also just posted the first writing challenge today and are looking forward to seeing what entries are submitted.

If you have any questions, you can either ask me here or on the site. I hope to see you around Worldsmyths!

JediKnightMuse

Troubadour
There are similarities, yes. The set ups (software and some of the features) are different but the ideas behind the sites are similar. Our community is smaller and more tight knit since it's in its baby stages.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Nothing wrong with duplicates. It's a bit like hosting a party. Each one will be a little different, even though a person could stand outside and classify them all as parties. The folks over at Fantasy Faction are happy there; the folks at Mythic Scribes are happy here. And there are other forums as well. Let a thousand flowers bloom!

JediKnightMuse

Troubadour
Nothing wrong with duplicates. It's a bit like hosting a party. Each one will be a little different, even though a person could stand outside and classify them all as parties. The folks over at Fantasy Faction are happy there; the folks at Mythic Scribes are happy here. And there are other forums as well. Let a thousand flowers bloom!

Couldn't have said it better myself, skip.knox. :D I do hope some of the Mythic Scribes people will take a gander at Worldsmyths and be active at both sites, of course, but I totally understand that everyone has their one home site that they prefer focusing on.

Peat

Sage

And I will be there, gnawing at the petals on all of them...

JediKnightMuse

Troubadour
And I will be there, gnawing at the petals on all of them...

I just realized that I never replied to you. XD

Good to know. XD Although I don't think I've seen you around the site yet (at least not with your username on here).

Hope to see you and anyone else on the site, though!

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
You know, with a name like Worldsmyths, you should think about going all-in on the world building angle. Right now it's hard for me to see what you guys offer that Mythic Scribes doesn't. But if you focused on worldbuilding for writers, gamers, shared world settings, and so on, you might find a solid audience.

JediKnightMuse

Troubadour
You know, with a name like Worldsmyths, you should think about going all-in on the world building angle. Right now it's hard for me to see what you guys offer that Mythic Scribes doesn't. But if you focused on worldbuilding for writers, gamers, shared world settings, and so on, you might find a solid audience.

-Shrug- I mean, it's an interesting idea to do that, but honestly...we're too far into the site's existence to just change its purpose now, and world building isn't the only thing that the members (and myself/my staff members) are looking for. We're looking for a community to go to with other writers of different experiences and interests (in the fantasy genre) to discuss writing with and get feedback from. Which, yes, that doesn't make Worldsmyths much different from Mythic Scribes, you're right. We're not looking to be competition and "one up" Mythic Scribes or anything. We're just looking to exist as another community for fantasy writers (because there are lots of online communities out there that are older than even Mythic Scribes) that both of our members can mutually visit and use to their advantages in different ways, if that makes sense. There doesn't have to be anything all that different from Mythic Scribes. I know I for one enjoy being part of multiple writing communities, even if their purpose is all pretty much the same, and I'm sure there are other people who feel the same, because each one provides something different due to having people with different experiences and such involved.

If I had thought about it before the site was opened and such, I might have considered doing what you suggested, because you're not wrong that it would draw a bigger audience for us. I remember years ago there used to be a site that was specifically for world builders...I can't remember what it was called, but it eventually died out and I wish I had taken better advantage of it when it did exist. I just don't think the members that we do have would welcome us suddenly shifting the focus onto world building rather than writing in the fantasy genre as a whole.

JediKnightMuse

Troubadour
...so I got the following comment as a "received reputation"

I appreciate how thoughtful this response is, and how you've defined your community. I'm looking for forums, seeking my place - I'll check it out.

to this thread, but there doesn't seem to be a way to respond to whomever gave me that comment, because it just brings me back to this thread when I click on the link. So as a response, thank you to whoever wrote it, and good to know! Hope to see you there (and here, of course).

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
For whatever reason those are anonymous.

I'm sorry, my post above was probably presumptuous. I also enjoyed your response.

JediKnightMuse

Troubadour
For whatever reason those are anonymous.

I'm sorry, my post above was probably presumptuous. I also enjoyed your response.

Not at all! I definitely appreciated the suggestion, even it's not something that I can apply to my site due to the reasons I mentioned. And I also think it was a fair enough suggestion to try and offer something on my site that Mythic Scribes doesn't. I can totally understand your viewpoint, as someone who's a member of this community seeing someone who's relatively inactive (but trying to be more active!) and more of a lurker come along and post an ad for their site that isn't much different from this one. I don't think that would bother me so much if I were in that position, but that's probably because I'm used to running role play sites (in addition to Worldsmyths as well as other sites for writers that I've run in the past) where advertising other sites and also affiliating with them is a common thing. I used to run a Star Wars RP where our "competition" (other Star Wars RP sites) would come and post their ads on our site, either because they found my site first or I found theirs and posted an ad on it.

tl;dr I didn't think it was presumptuous at all, and I'm glad you enjoyed my response.

JediKnightMuse

Troubadour
Looking now! I do hope to be active on both, if high school allows such a busy scheduleXD

Awesome! Let me know if you have any questions.

Just a general update on Worldsmyths for anyone else:

We have a NaNo discussion section, have put the challenges on hold until December due to the amount of people preparing for NaNo, and also have a critique swap thread going as well as some other discussions and such. Don't be afraid to shoot me a PM if you have any questions or anything.

JediKnightMuse

Troubadour
It's been a while since I've bumped this (hope no one minds if I do so). The site is still going pretty good. We're trying an experiment with month long challenges now (before we were only giving two-ish weeks to write entries). The deadline is December 22nd due to the upcoming holiday (which also happens to be the theme! Holidays/celebrations/coronations etc), but that's still plenty of time to write something! We'd love to see you on Worldsmyths (and of course still here on Mythic Scribes)! If you have any questions about the site or anything, feel free to ask here or send me a PM!

Russ

Istar
Hey JKM. Believe it or not I am still getting your newsletter despite the fact that we deleted my account. The unsubscribe button in it does not work.

Is there anything you can do to stop sending me that newsletter?

JediKnightMuse

Troubadour
Hey JKM. Believe it or not I am still getting your newsletter despite the fact that we deleted my account. The unsubscribe button in it does not work.

Is there anything you can do to stop sending me that newsletter?

Ugh. I have no idea why it's still doing that, or how to stop it, especially since I deleted your account. :confused: I found the settings for potentially unsubscribing you, but it won't let me do it because your account was deleted so your email address isn't registered any more. The only thing I can think of to do is to uninstall the mod that's sending the emails out altogether and see if that by some chance works, since it's sending it out way too often to begin with but there aren't any settings that I've found for determining how often it gets sent out, it's completely random.

I'll try that and we can see if that works. Let me know via PM if it does or doesn't seem to work. After that, I have no idea what to do if it doesn't work. :eek: It may take several days or more before you'll know whether or not it actually worked since the days the newsletter gets sent out are random.

Edit: okay, that fix just blew up in my face. I uninstalled the mod and it screwed something up with the site and now people can't get to the forum at the moment. No idea how to fix it right now. Uuuuugh.

Last edited:
So I've been on there before but it's been a few weeks to months XD I usually use tapatalk but I can't find it on here AND my school wifi blocks the site for whatever unGodly reason I'm unaware of:( I hope I can get on there soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NaNoWriMo WIP!

JediKnightMuse

Troubadour
So I've been on there before but it's been a few weeks to months XD I usually use tapatalk but I can't find it on here AND my school wifi blocks the site for whatever unGodly reason I'm unaware of:( I hope I can get on there soon!

NaNoWriMo WIP!

Yeah, we don't have Tapatalk on Worldsmyths. :| It's probably something I should look into installing, actually...after I get this database error figured out. :eek: (If anyone knows anything about how to fix database errors on SMF...I'm kinda desperate at the moment >.>)

No idea why your school would be blocking the site, either. o_O It blocks the site in its entirety? It sounds like that's on your school's end with their security settings, which is annoying. I hate when schools do that.

Yeah, we don't have Tapatalk on Worldsmyths. :| It's probably something I should look into installing, actually...after I get this database error figured out. :eek: (If anyone knows anything about how to fix database errors on SMF...I'm kinda desperate at the moment >.>)

No idea why your school would be blocking the site, either. o_O It blocks the site in its entirety? It sounds like that's on your school's end with their security settings, which is annoying. I hate when schools do that.

I do too! Lol it blocks NationStates game too. They're finicky anyways so it's whateverXD I wish I could on the database side!

NaNoWriMo WIP!