• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fantasy Anthology - Call for Submissions Open

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Hey guys - I went live with a Call for Submissions for my sword-and-sorcery / dying earth fantasy anthology. It will be published in e-Book format in the last quarter of 2013.

Check out the submission guidelines here: Long Count Press

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Thanks, Phil. It has only been a few hours and I'm already getting some good queries from potential authors. I'm hoping we'll end up with a strong selection of stories for it. I hope you'll have time to send something in :)

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I'd love to send something as the anthology concept is right up my alley. I've been getting into Jack Vance more recently since reading the anthology GRRM put out a while back. Also I'm a big fan of Howard and Lieber, two of my all time favorites. If you're looking for writing in those veins, I think it'll turn out great. Hopefully, I'll have some time to send something along!

MFreako

Troubadour
Can't say I'm familiar with the dying earth genre, but this sounds very interesting. Any reading suggestions to acquaint myself with the themes you're looking for?

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Hi MFreako. A few suggestions:

Wikipedia entry on the subgenre: Dying Earth (subgenre) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia There is a list of examples there.

Also, for the right sort of flavor, let me add Fritz Leiber's original Fafhrd and Gray Mouser stories, Robert E. Howard's Conan stories, Michael Moorcock's Elric stories, Jack Vance's Dying Earth stories, or for a current series, Paul Kemp's Egil and Nix stories.

Those are varied in style, but all have a certain feel or atmosphere to them that works well for this anthology.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Thanks for the Paul Kemp recommendation. I looked at a sample from Amazon of one of his books and it's really quite engaging. Just gets right into it, which is refreshing.

I'd also recommend this tribute anthology for Jack Vance which has some good Dying Earth stories inspired by Vance's style: Amazon.com: Songs of the Dying Earth: George R.R. Martin, Gardner Dozois: Books

Also for new sword and sorcery fiction, this is also a great anthology: Amazon.com: Swords & Dark Magic: The New Sword and Sorcery: Jonathan Strahan, Lou Anders: Books

These are just my own recommended reading, I'm not sure if Steerpike also recommends these.

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Thanks, Phil. I'm glad the Paul Kemp books looks good to you. Both of those anthologies look nice - I'll check them out.

Also, I should note that the Shadows of a Fading World anthology is now listed on Duotrope!