Page 125 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126 LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 1252

Thread: What are you Reading Now?

In a meadow full of flowers and plotbunnies.
    Portfolio Entries
    Over the weekend I read "The Lastborn of Elvinwood" and "A Celtic Odyssey". The former is a story about a human guy who is embroiled in a quest to find a human girl to be a willing bride for one of the fairies, and the latter tells the story of the hero Maildun and his journey through lands unknown to mortals. Pretty cool stuff. ^^

Senior Member TheCrystallineEntity's Avatar
    Portfolio Entries
    ^Ooh, those sound very interesting. Who are the authors?

Portfolio Entries
    I think Atwood is a strong writer, but she definitely has benefited from a culture boost from the Canadian inferiority complex.
    So, all Canadians feel inferior to each other, or other cultures? Who knew! That's a fascinating thing to learn about the country I live in. Thank you.

In a meadow full of flowers and plotbunnies.
    Portfolio Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrystallineEntity View Post
    ^Ooh, those sound very interesting. Who are the authors?
    The Lastborn of Elvinwood is by Linda Haldeman, and A Celtic Odyssey is by Michael Scott.

Portfolio Entries
    ^Thanks! I'll check into those.

I picked up some free/cheap volumes by Irish folktale writers. The King of Ireland's Son and The Boy Who Knew What the Birds Said by Padraic Colum. I'm halfway through The King of Ireland's Son and it's quite an interesting example of a tale within a tale within a tale. Also got Donegal Fairy Stories by Seumas MacManus whose other book Hibernian Nights I really love. He's got a really strong storyteller's voice which makes old fairy tales come to life.

And just picked up The Woodcutter by Kate Danley which I saw on sale on Amazon today. 20 % in and I'm really glad I did. It's not like anything else I've read recently, which is always so welcome. There's a strong fairy tale atmosphere with the Wood at its center and a mystery full of dark magic to uncover.
    I have been successful probably because I have always realized that I knew nothing about writing and have merely tried to tell an interesting story entertainingly. ~Edgar Rice Burroughs

I don't strictly read fantasy...

I just finished Dr. Sleep, King's sequel to The Shining, & currently have 2 more books on the go:

The Forgotten Garden - Kate Morton

8 Million Ways to Die - Lawrence Block (No, I've never seen the movie.)
    "What lasts in the reader's mind is not the phrase but the effect the phrase created: laughter, tears, pain, joy. If the phrase is not affecting the reader, what's it doing there? Make it do its job or cut it without mercy or remorse."
    - ISAAC ASIMOV

Well, I ended up finishing The Woodcutter within 24 hours. Which is impressive when you remember that I have 5 kids and I got the book the day before the first day of school. In other words, I did not have a lot of reading time, but I just HAD to keep reading it. Literally could not think of anything else. It was SO GOOD. SO REFRESHING. I desperately wish there were more books written like this one.

Also finished The King of Ireland's Son. It ended up not being quite like other folktales I've read. At first there were tales within tales within tales and they didn't seem particularly related. But in the end everything had been woven together in a very satisfactory way. I really enjoyed it.

Started rereading some of my favorite Lord Dunsany stories and decided to see if I could find some of his other works I haven't read yet. Picked up Don Rodriguez and Tales of Three Hemispheres cheaply. The other ones still in print will have to wait a bit. Unfortunately, some of his works must be both OOP and not yet in the public domain because they can't be had on Amazon at least for any reasonable price.
    Last edited by Mythopoet; 9-11-17 at 8:19 AM.
    I have been successful probably because I have always realized that I knew nothing about writing and have merely tried to tell an interesting story entertainingly. ~Edgar Rice Burroughs

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by PK Dick
    I'd forgotten how different the film [Blade Runner] is to the book.
    The copy I have dates from the early 80s and is a film tie-in so is a little more weird in that there are pictures of characters from the film...
    Gibson: No, I... I have to write some letters first.

Reading the Iliad, can't go much better than this.
    Orginality is no substitute for quality.

11. Thanks Russ, Aurora thanked for this post