• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Great Ordeal by R. Scott Bakker

Sarcellus

Scribe
Hello Mythic Scribes!

I noticed there to be no recent thread regarding Bakker's The Second Apocalypse - excepting one I made years ago - and his forthcoming release of the third volume in the second series, The Great Ordeal, so here I am to inform any and all interested parties ;).

So far recently, there have been two reviews of TGO ARCs - one by bakkerfans, the fan media accounts - spoiler-free, excepting a "where we left them" regarding the conclusion of 2011's The White-Luck Warrior - and one by Pat's Fantasy Hotlist - minor spoilers regarding character/POV. Two reviews are forthcoming via The Wertzone and Grimdark Magazine.

There's been a book trailer produced for the series by the author's brother and SpiralHorizon.

As well there are two excerpts from The Great Ordeal: the prologue and first chapter entire, released by Grimdark Magazine who also have a forthcoming giveaway, and an unidentified chapter, released by Pat's Fantasy Hotlist who also has a forthcoming interview. Both of which certainly contain spoilers for the preceding five volumes in The Second Apocalypse.

Otherwise, Grim Tidings Podcast has recently announced they will host Bakker in late June, who joins a stellar list of interviewees so far, Erikson and Abercrombie being especially worth listening to. There are also rumours of a reddit AMA.

Sorry if this is misplaced, I honestly don't know how many Bakker readers are part of the community here.

Cheers.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
I'm a fan of R. Scott Bakker. He's excellent at feints, grit, and dark themes. I didn't know another book was released. I'll definitely look into it after completing Fall of Light.

Sarcellus

Scribe
I'm a fan of R. Scott Bakker. He's excellent at feints, grit, and dark themes. I didn't know another book was released. I'll definitely look into it after completing Fall of Light.

July 5th release date for the Overlook hardcover of The Great Ordeal in North America. I believe Wertzone, mentioned above, was a special case UK reviewer (as he's a long-time fan of the series). Rumours maintain that the Orbit UK date is still in flux and this is made clear by the previous (now removed) preorder availability for the Overlook hardcover on amazon.co.uk. Otherwise, a listing for a paperback of The Great Ordeal has an Orbit UK date of Sep 29th.

But the following novel is also complete so there shouldn't be too much time between the penultimate and ultimate novels of The Aspect-Emperor tetrology, the second of the three The Second Apocalypse series.

Sarcellus

Scribe
Another review of The Great Ordeal, this time by Bakker's long-time writing compatriot, Roger Eichorn (who also has samples of his own on his blog) - minor spoilers regarding POV

Sarcellus

Scribe
Book is out in US! Canada on the 26th and Orbit UK paperback incoming Sep 29th! (Though many international readers have already purchased the Overlook hardcover from ebay and amazon.com)

The Great Ordeal

Sarcellus

Scribe
Canadian release was yesterday (!!), though, I had to call a Chapters to find out that they were actually getting shipped physical copies. Currently in Ontario, Chapters, Coles, and Indigo stores list The Great Ordeal as "this item is online only and is not available in any store."

Also, Bakker recently appeared on the Grim Tidings Podcast, which has previously done amazing episodes with Abercrombie and Erikson.