• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Gateway to Moorcock

Thank you for this.

I fell down the Moorcock rabbit hole about 2 winters ago and it dug in so deep it forced me to finally start writing myself.

The scope is what gets me. And the sense you get that he NEEDS these worlds to get out of him. For me this epitomizes good fantasy. You can tell that, for Moorcock, the world outside of his head just doesn't get it done for him the way the world inside of his head does -- and it is contagious!

Thanks for sharing!

Peat

Sage
I started with Dancers At the End of Time, not that I knew who Moorcock was at the time...

In any case, I must disagree with the article. I'd far rather read The War Hound and the World's Pain than Elric.

The first book I read by Michael Moorcock was Stormbringer, sixth in the Elric saga. A friend had the book and gave it to me. I had no idea what I was getting into. Of course I then had to find and read the five Elric books that came before Stormbringer.

What I find amusing about the linked-to post is that there's no mention of the books with John Daker / Erekose. The story of the Eternal Champion naturally starts with him. If you miss those books, you're missing a critical piece of the big picture.

Russ

Istar
Moorcock really is a rabbit hole. I have read everything his I can get my hands on since the mid 70's and it is an incredibly varied body of work.

I quite like this two books on writing- Fantasy and Wild Romance and Death is no Obstacle.

If any of you ever see a copy of "Into the Media Web" for sale anywhere, please let me know I simply cannot seem to find a copy.