• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

making my list...

So it's that time of year again and no one has any idea what to buy me for Christmas. I'm hard to buy for. I want books basically but what books? (I don't want to end up with nail polish and perfume like that one time when I was just apathetic and didn't ask for anything!)

At the same time, I'm looking to dive into the world of adult fantasy (being a little sick of most YA right now) and also looking to fill my bookshelf. But I have no idea where to start. So basically, I'm looking for recommendations from those of you who are more widely read than me.

I love dragons, so those are always a plus. I also have this HUGE thing for alternate history. (Temeraire is already on my list.) I'll read anything, urban fantasy, sci-fantasy, steampunk...heck, if you have some sci-fi recs I'd be glad to look into those. Generally, I like stuff that's a little unconventional...not the usual "wizards, standard fantasy races, European-esque setting," but stuff that's more diverse and creative. Diverse, quirky, weird and bizarre are all things I deeply appreciate. (NOT saying that the above can't be creative but that's another discussion.) I enjoy things based on mythologies not usually written about (has anyone written anything on Inuit mythology?) settings usually not explored, anything outside the bell curve. Beyond that I can't really say anything specific. But I connect to a story through the characters, so well-developed characters/character driven stories are important. If I can't relate to anyone I won't make it through the book.

Last thing: I don't want to come across as a prude, but please give me a bit of a heads-up about stuff like rape scenes and anything excessively disturbing. It is...really hard for me to get disturbing things out of my head once they're there. I start to obsess over things that disturb me. It's my brain wiring. So please tell me. I'm also not into books with a ton of detailed/graphic sex, especially if it's bad. That doesn't mean I won't read anything with sex in it, but I just don't like it if the author can't handle it tastefully. Finally, bad writing...Even if the story is good, if the prose is amateurish and full of bad habits for me to pick up and struggle to shake, please don't bother. I'm a magpie. I write as I read. So I'd like to read well to be able to write well.

Can anyone give me thoughts on the Pern books?

Thanks guys. ;)

La Volpe

Sage
I've read a few of the Pern books, and I enjoyed them. It's technically a sci-fi, but there's dragons, so maybe it counts as a science-fantasy? Anyway, Anne McCaffrey is a great author. You'll have to pick and choose because there are a LOT of Pern books. I've only read five-ish of them, mostly the earlier ones of the original trilogy and the stuff close to that.

I think you'd enjoy them, if I've judged you correctly. I highly recommend them. I don't think there was anything post-PG-13 in them, but maybe a blurry sex scene or two. It's been a while since I read them.

Another, slightly hesitant, recommendation would be Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff. I personally didn't enjoy the book enough to buy the sequel, but I can't say it was bad (and I enjoyed parts of it; the hook at the end just wasn't enough to make me carry on), and there's been good stuff said about it. It's basically a Japanese-themed steampunk fantasy; the first in the Lotus War trilogy. A main element of the story is a griffin that speaks with the main character much like the Pern dragons do. Very immersive and non-European world, and a dragon-like creature as a main element/character. So I think you might enjoy it. It's probably worth a try. No post-PG-13 stuff that I can remember.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Another vote for Pern. Start with Dragonflight

Peter S. Beagle, The Last Unicorn and The Folk of the Air
Ursula Le Guin, A Wizard of Earthsea
Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude
Walter M. Miller, A Canticle for Liebowitz (alt history, not fantasy)
Philip Pullman, His Dark Design
Keith Roberts, Pavane (also alt hist)
Theodore Sturgeon, More Than Human (technically SF, but Sturgeon is a marvel)
T.H. White, The Once and Future King (wonderful book; source for both The Sword in the Stone and Camelot)

I have to be honest, there are far more great SF books than fantasy books. But that's at least a starter list. The acute observer will notice how few of these are recent.

If I may make a suggestion, start a much bigger list. One for a lifetime of reading. Put on it all the classics, and don't restrict yourself to fantasy only. I have a spreadsheet. Along with the book info, I have columns to mark the year I read it, the genre, and a column for random notes. Goodreads lets you do the same sort of thing, but my spreadsheet is faster.

I've had my list for years now. I still add entries from time to time. Whenever I'm looking around for something to read, I consult the list. Often it's "oh, I guess I'd better read that one." Somewhat reluctantly. A number of times I've been delightfully surprised. And a good many times I notice things that help inform my own writing, even though the book was far from fantasy.

As a starter, if you're inclined to this, is to do a search on "100 best SF books". Add in your own genre preferences, but do include "best literature" or "best classic literature". It's a fair amount of work to get this set up, but it pays years of dividends.

Mytherea

Minstrel
Before I give you a whole list of recommendations, just had two questions. One: you said you mostly read YA fantasy; which are your favorites or the last few that've stuck with you? And two: is there anything that you won't touch with a ten foot barge pole, no matter how heartily recommended? I'd like to tailor my recs to the kind of novel you enjoy reading, so I don't send you off looking at a book or a book series that's your literary anathema.

Before I give you a whole list of recommendations, just had two questions. One: you said you mostly read YA fantasy; which are your favorites or the last few that've stuck with you? And two: is there anything that you won't touch with a ten foot barge pole, no matter how heartily recommended? I'd like to tailor my recs to the kind of novel you enjoy reading, so I don't send you off looking at a book or a book series that's your literary anathema.

The last YA books I've liked were actually alternate history (Wolf by Wolf by Ryan Graudin.) I also was extremely fond of the Leviathan series by Scott Westerfeld (also alternate history.) my thing for alternate history is no joke. Six of Crows is the next thing I'm reading. But, seeing that I haven't read it yet, I don't know. I could give you a much longer list of stuff I loathed, lol...

I can't think of anything I know I wouldn't touch. I don't plan on going anywhere near ASOIAF. But...I can't really think of anything. Oh...no Terry Brooks please, at least, I've seen his writing and it's horrid imo. I...really don't know.

Mytherea

Minstrel
Alternate History:
The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick — Truly, a bizarre, but very much worthwhile, read. It’s very meta. The story goes that, as Dick was writing the novel, at every major plot- and turning-point, he’d throw the Yi Ching to figure what the next step was, which is pretty much what most of his characters do when presented with a decision. It’s an interesting read, and somewhat similar (subject-wise) to Wolf By Wolf. Kinda.

The Bullet-Catcher’s Daughter by Rod Duncan -- Alternate, almost steampunk UK where the UK split in half a few hundred years ago, with one side remaining very conservative and another very liberal and technology being highly regulated. The main character, Elizabeth, fled to the conservative half of the island and, in order to be her own woman, masquerades as her nonexistent twin brother and works as a private investigator. Brilliant world-building, fascinating premise, and a twist in the first book that I didn’t see coming.

Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear — The voice. I could listen/read Karen for no other reason than just to hear her talk. Alternate history set in a city somewhat like Seattle, centering around Karen and the other women of the Hôtel Mon Cherie brothel as they’re forced to go to war against a human trafficker/abusive pimp who’s armed with a mind-controlling machine. There’s a wonderful use of a mechanized sewing machine as a battle robot. Read this one for the voice, hands down.

Historical Fantasy:
‘Cause I’ve got a thing for vampires:
Those Who Hunt The Night by Barbara Hambly — Set in the early 1900’s, the story revolves around an ex-spy who’s threatened by a vampire into investigating a series of murders of London vampires. The idea behind it is, what makes a good vampire? Someone narcissistic and/or twisted enough to murder someone every night in order to maintain their immortality. The prose style is a little outdated, but it’s very well-researched and they move along with the time period (the last one ended on the declaration of World War I, and the characters are intending to do their part). And the vampires are downright creepy.

The Vampire Files series and the Jonathan Barrett series by P.N. Elrod — ‘nother voice recommendation. The first series is set in the 1930’s and is basically about newly-turned vampire vs. the Chicago mob. I’ve reread this one multiple times, and still come away with something new each time through (last time, I studied how the core premise of the series changed over the course of the series). The other series is set during the American Revolution and centers on a secondary character in the first series. From what I understand, the main challenge was to write a vampire novel without ever saying the word “vampire.” There are sex scenes in both of these, but they’re more “leave it to your imagination” for the most part, and the romance between Jack and Bobby in the Vampire Files is just sweet. She also has a steampunk alt-history called The Hanged Man, which is fun on its own, but even more fun if you've read the rest of her work, since there's a few easter eggs hidden in it.

High/Epic Fantasy:
The obligatory Tolkien rec. If you haven’t, it’s worth the read, if only to see where the genre came from. The Silmarillion is my favorite, but I realize it’s not for everyone and the style is difficult to get through. I suggest starting off by reading it aloud to get the oral cadence of it down, then it gets easier (or, at least, it did for me).

Anything by Carol Berg — one of my absolute, all-time favorite writers. She puts her characters through the wringer, physically and emotionally, and grinds them to fleshy pulp before making them go and save the world. The narrative style is a little slower, so might not be to your liking, but they are worth the read for the characters alone. Best one I recently read was the The Soul Mirror, book two in her Collegia Magica series. Oh! Also, her first novel Song of the Beast has dragons and dragonriders (though it's not a happy relationship) and the poor main character gets charged to free the dragons (but I won't say more else I'll spoil it). Being her first, it's not quite as sound craft-wise as her later ones (particularly that shoe-horned romance subplot), but I've still reread it regardless.

The Nightrunner series by Lynn Flewelling — Alec and Seregil, a pair of romantically involved spies, do sneaky stuff and save the world. Again, another just plain sweet relationship. Low on the sex, since the “camera” pans away before it goes anywhere. The series has an interesting tonal shift between book three and four, going from epic fantasy to something different, more micro-focused. There’s still epic things happening, like a war for the continued freedom of their country, but neither character is directly involved (there is a viewpoint character who is, but her storyline runs parallel to the other two). It’s also a lovely example of how to end a series. Also, dragons. Cute little nibbly dragons (for the most part), but dragons nonetheless.

The Chalion series by Lois McMaster Bujold — Enjoyed it so much, once I finished the series, I went back and started rereading the first one again. Basically, the gods of this world can directly influence the outcome of mortal events, but ONLY by using a mortal as a tool, and as beings of spiritual energy, they don’t have much of a concept of pain or maiming; if it serves their purposes to break their saint, they’ll break ‘em. The main character of the first book, Cazaril, starts off emotionally and physically scarred and, through trying to protect his charge, ends up the unfortunate chosen one of two gods. The humor in this one is dark, but it’s there; the idea is, you either laugh and joke about the gods and turn it all into a giant cosmic farce, or you end up in a corner screaming at a wall in sheer horror at what’s happening to you. Heartily recommend this one (especially if you find you enjoy Berg; in some ways, their work has a similar feel). She also has a long running space opera series, but I haven’t read it (but have heard good things about it).

Urban Fantasy:

A Madness of Angels by Kate Griffin — this one can be a bit odd, but the magic system is brilliant. I don’t know why, but for some reason, most of my recs take place in London? Anyway, the basic idea is that urban elements and concepts become spirits, so there’s a spirit of the London Underground, there’s one of the Bag Lady, and the main character, Matthew Swift, ends up sharing his head-space with the spirit of the telephone lines. Also, sorcerers with distinctly urban magic (there was one who had full body tattoos imbued with spells, allowing him to draw on enough power for six sorcerers at once). It’s wonderfully inventive, spinning urban magic in a way I’d never seen before.

London Falling by Paul Cornell — Okay, this one is a hit-or-miss. I recommend it, but with extreme caution. It crosses over in horror very deeply and is a much grittier take on UF. It’s good, though, and is one of the only UF’s I know of with an ensemble cast and told in third-person, but it is definitely not everyone’s cup of tea.

So, that’s it for now, ‘cause this is a very, very long post at this point and I could just keep going on and on, but I'll keep a look-out on my bookshelves for more dragon-related novels. I used to have a bunch of favorites, but they're older and haven't all aged that well and I couldn't recommend them to study. I've only read a few Pern ones, but from what I remember, they were solid, and an interesting blend of fantasy and science fiction. Though, I admit, I hadn't been a fan of some of the terminology (horses as "Runner Beasts" for example. Read two of the books before I realized that it was a horse--here I'd been imagining some kind of reptilian tauntaun).

Russ

Istar
I would strongly endorse the Pern and Canticle for Leibowitz recommendations.

I am very fond of the work of Michael Moorcock who played a significant role in the establishment of modern fantasy and SF. He has written a lot of fantasy but I think the Elric Books are the most accessible and a good starting point. They have come out in so many different editions I don't even know what to call them these days. On the alternative history front, his series "Nomad of the Timestreams" is often considered the first or a very early steampunk work and it is very good.

If you like Alternative mythologies, my good friend Nalo Hopkinson write from a Caribbean point of view and she is simply a brilliant writer. I would recommend for you Skin Folk, Midnight Robber or Salt Roads.

If you have not read the Stephen R. Donaldson books, they are a fantasy staple. I recall there is one rape scene but it is mild by modern standards.

I am also fond of the "New Weird", and China Mieville is simply a brilliant Writer. I started with Peridido Street Station and have been hooked every since. That guy simply has talent and intellect to burn.

The Mists of Avalon is a must read.

And I would be remiss if I did not commend my friend Robert J. Sawyer's work in SF to you. He (as I understand it) has won more awards for his work than any writer in the history of spec fic, and he won the Order of Canada next year. You might really enjoy one of his trilogies, either the WWW trilogy or the Homonids trilogy. I think there might be a rape in Homonids as well. I also quite like his courage and writing brilliance in taking on the plot of Mindscan from a first person POV (once you read the book you will understand why that was such a challenge for that plot).