• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Mythic Scribes on Mythic Scribes

I would put this thread out there for one purpose - to serve as a place for fellow Mythic Scribe members to review the works of other Mythic Scribe members. Now, I know we have the Showcase Forum, but that is different. Here, if at all possible, I would like to place reviews of published pieces (traditional or self-published). There are several authors here who have novels published, and even more with short stories. So, if you're a published author and another Mythic Scribe agrees to review your work, this would be the perfect place.

Then, and only if Black Dragon wants, he can pick those reviews that he likes or that represent certain published pieces and post those reviews as articles on the home page. It could serve a few purposes. One would be to help the author, marketing, etc. Another would be to add another article element to the front page.

I hope this works for everyone. If so, maybe an admin here can even make this a sticky so it stays at the top of the page.

If you plan to write a review, but haven't yet, you can reserve a spot. Simply reply to the thread and write in "Reserved for ________'s review of ___________." Then whenever you have the review written, you just have to visit this thread and hit EDIT on that reserved post and you can cut and paste your piece.

Reserved for Map the Dragon's review of Flank Hawk by Terry Ervin. (Reading now and already enjoying my time killing Zombies with Krish)

*Reading in Progress/Review in Progress

Last edited:

Kaellpae

Inkling
I like this idea. I only know of Flank Hawk. I don't know where to find the books of the published authors here.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
I like this idea!

One alteration is necessary, though. If someone is interested in having their review appear on our home page, please send it to me via the contact form rather than posting it in this thread.

If the review is posted here, and then also on our home page, that can cause problems for us. Google penalizes sites for "duplicate content," so we need to play it safe. For that reason it is also necessary that the review only appear on this site, and not be published elsewhere on the internet.

I don't know where to find the books of the published authors here.

That's another reason I like this thread. To help us know this. So, authors of MYTHIC SCRIBES, if you have any type of work published and wouldn't mind someone reading and reviewing, PM me with the title/author info and genre and I will post it here.

Here is what I have thus far: (alpha by title)

NOVELS:

Dreamworld by Brian Wood (Mythic Scribe Trayvian James)
Firesoul by Frank LaVoie (Mythic Scribe Map the Dragon)
Flank Hawk by Terry Ervin (Mythic Scribe TWErvin2)
Weaver's Web by Bets Davies (Mythic Scribe CicadaGrrl)

Short Stories:

Accelerated Justice by Terry Ervin (see notes at top of page 2 of this thread)
Battle of the Ageless by Wood and LaVoie

Poetry:

Artwork:

Other:

Last edited:

Kaellpae

Inkling
I definitely want to read anything that Mythic Scribes members have published, not quite sure about reviewing though.

I'm down to do some reviews. I've already read Firesoul (and loved it), but I would love to read Flank Hawk. Maybe we'll do a trade? I'll take Map the Dragon's copy when he's done and I'll have one sent out to Terry? Just let me know.

TWErvin2

Auror
I've had seven short stories published with an additional two forthcoming. They've appeared in anthologies (print/electronic), magazines and ezines. Several have also been published more than once as reprints.

I've had thirteen articles on writing published with an additional three forthcoming. All have been printed online, some reprinted.

Flank Hawk is my only published novel, although the sequel (Blood Sword) was just given the thumbs up by my publisher earlier this week. I'm working hard to get it ready for a late Fall release.

I'm not sure listing the stories and articles in this thread would be appropriate. Members/Visitors to Mythic Scribes could find information at my website (listed in my signature below). If it turns out to be okay, I have no problem listing them all here.

Map the Dragon and I have already exchanged novels. I am currently reading Firesoul (Map's novel) with an eye toward providing a blurb, in addition to a review. Trayvian James, I will send a PM to you with regard to the novel exchange you suggested.

Also, where ever the list of Mythic Scribes Novel/Short Story/Poetry/Art/Other authors is posted, listing the screen names next to them might be handy for members, as they may not match the author names. For example: my screen name is TWErvin2, my author name is Terry W. Ervin II. Members may not make the connection.

I'd also like to say to members of Mythic Scribes. Reviews are very valuable to authors on several levels:
--It provides input. Authors do pay attention to what reviewers write. They may not always agree, but if there is a trend among reviewers...
--It provides a reader's opinion for other potential readers to consider when thinking about obtaining a copy of a work
--It provides a sale. This is important to authors (beyond the financial aspect--and if you've studied up, authors do not make big bucks off of an individual sale). Even if the author's work is very good, if it doesn't sell adequate numbers a publisher isn't going to pick up their next work--or possibly any publisher for that matter.
--It provides potential for word of mouth, or for the readers to share the work, or obtain a copy for a gift to another, etc.
--It provides an avenue for books to be placed. If a bookstore/chain gets orders for a certain novel they are more likely to stock it. (some of this depends on how the novel is distributed/returnable etc.)
--It brings an author's work to the attention of potential readers who otherwise might not have run across or considered reading the work.

In addition, many members here are writers working toward getting their works published. Someday those writers may be in the same situation as the currently published members of Mythic Scribes. That doesn't mean you should feel obligated. Maybe epic fantasy isn't your thing but urban fantasy is. Don't obtain the epic fantasy. But if a novel's description makes it appear to be one you would enjoy, consider going for it.

And honestly, I don't think authors are going to hang around on forums because they think it's gonna sell a lot of their books. If that's the goal, it's really not a very efficient use of time. I personally hang out here and on a few other forums to answer questions and do what I can to help other writers improve and achieve their goals. And because I enjoy conversing with readers and writers that have similar interests.

Just my two cents.

Terry

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
I've made this thread a sticky, and am 100% behind this effort.

As I said above, if someone wishes for their review to appear on the home page, please send it to me via the contact form before posting it here. That will help us to avoid a duplicate content problem.

If a review is sufficiently in-depth and well written, publishing it on the home page would be the best way to go. It will get far more attention that way, and I want to drum up as much publicity as possible for our published authors.

But if someone prefers to publish their review in this thread, by all means do so.

In either case, do use this thread to state your intention or desire to review an author's book. Posting such intentions in this thread will help build some momentum.

TWErvin2

Auror
"Accelerated Justice"

My short story "Accelerated Justice" has been published by Strange, Weird and Wonderful Magazine in its Summer 2011 Issue.

It's a near-term SF story and first in the issue (not fantasy). SW&W Magazine also interviewed me (accessed by the main page): http://www.strangeweirdandwonderful.com/

If you're interested the issue is here: http://www.strangeweirdandwonderful.bravehost.com/3Site/Summer11.pdf (Note: the link opens a PDF file)

If you do read it, hope you enjoy ithe story.

Thread Update: Check the first page of this thread for a link to the first review. It is also published on the Mythic Scribes home page. Happy reading and leave a comment at the bottom of the article!

Any updates? Any mythic scribes that have been published in literature or art that are not noted on the first page of this thread? PM me if there are.

CicadaGrrl

Troubadour
Weaver's Web review

My book, Weaver's Web, has just been published, and I would love a review. I can send it to you in kindle or paper format. Below is a blurb:

Eclectic, sarcastic Weaver, an inner city Oakland high school teacher, knows she’s seen it all and just wants to go home after a bad day of student crises. On the way for her longed for chocolate ice cream, she learns two things she didn’t know before. Vampires are real. That thing where you make a cross with your arms doesn’t work. When the vampire, Jamie–who is nineteen or 391, depending how you count–stops laughing, he tells her a whole lot else she doesn’t know.

Weaver and her twin brother Sam don’t have a weird genetic defect. They are changeling sidhe–full sized elves with attitude–only twin sidhe are doomed to death at birth. Someone’s thinking twenty-five years too late isn’t too late. Weaver and Jamie must save Sam. Along the way, Weaver learns her reality was a myth, because myths are reality.

Kelise

Maester
I had a look around for it, and it shows that you've posted quite a bit on GoodReads? I've always heard that if you're going to publish, to take down as much (if not all) that you can of drafts or final copy that you've put online, so I just thought I'd point it out in case you'd forgotten it was there :)

Thank you for starting up this thread, Frank.

My first novel, The Black God's War (Amazon Goodreads) came out last month. I'd love to have a Mythic Scribes member review it. I'd be happy to send out a free kindle or epub.

Short blurb:

Against the backdrop of epic warfare and the powers of ten mysterious gods, Lucia struggles to understand The Black One.

Her father-king wants war.

Her messianic brother wants peace.

The black god wants his due.

She suffers all the consequences.

TWErvin2

Auror
Mythic Scribe Folks,

Gryphonwood Press recently released Blood Sword, the second novel in the First Civilization's Legacy series.

Although the second novel in the series, it's written like the first (Flank Hawk) as a standalone novel (that feat was bit tricky in itself).

If you enjoy fantasy and action adventure, it might be up your alley.

If you're interested in more information on either of my novels, you can you can follow the link to my website in the signature below, or this link: Info for Flank Hawk and Blood Sword

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Mythic Scribe Folks,

Gryphonwood Press recently released Blood Sword, the second novel in the First Civilization's Legacy series.

Although the second novel in the series, it's written like the first (Flank Hawk) as a standalone novel (that feat was bit tricky in itself).

Congratulations, Terry!! That is awesome news. :)