• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Good News- Field is Wide Open

Russ

Istar
So I had a nice conversation with a publisher friend the other day and one of the areas she publishers in is fantasy.

In the past she has been an acquiring editor and developmental editor for many top fantasy and other genre writers.

The bottom line is that right now she fields that in traditional publishing the field is wide open for all types of fantasy (and SF) at the moment. She said that if fantasy publishers are seeking a very wide variety of materials and that now was a pretty good time for people who are writing non-traditional fantasy to get a good look from an acquiring editor.

Just thought I would pass along this good news.

neodoering

Minstrel
Wonder What She Means by Non-Traditional

I write fantasy novels about people no one wants to hear from: the mentally ill, people of color, American Indians. I think of these stories as "non-traditional." So far I have gotten ignored, sending these to traditional agents and publishers. They do not seem willing to try new things. Strictly inside the lines.

It's depressing enough that I am thinking of giving up writing fantasy novels and trying some poetry. Fantasy poetry, but poetry nonetheless. Never heard of anything like that getting published, either :(

Russ

Istar
I write fantasy novels about people no one wants to hear from: the mentally ill, people of color, American Indians. I think of these stories as "non-traditional." So far I have gotten ignored, sending these to traditional agents and publishers. They do not seem willing to try new things. Strictly inside the lines.

It's depressing enough that I am thinking of giving up writing fantasy novels and trying some poetry. Fantasy poetry, but poetry nonetheless. Never heard of anything like that getting published, either :(

There are some significant numbers of people writing non-traditional spec pic getting published these days with agents and publishers of various sizes. I have not read your work, but you may wish to consider the possibility that the problem does not lie with the current market.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
To extend from what Russ said, *most* people get ignored, regardless of genre or sub-genre. Thousands submit for every one that actually sees print. I would not conclude that it is a prejudice against the category. Publishers eagerly grab onto anything they think is well written and will sell.