• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Any Freelance Editor Suggestions?

Hey guys,
I searched the forum but did not find a post on this, but I may have missed it.

I am looking for an affordable copyeditor for my fantasy manuscript (113,000 words). I've spoken to many editors but haven't found the one for me.

However, Ashley Davis at Ashley Davis ? Professional Editor » Editing Services has gained my attention. Anyone have any experience with this editor?

Any suggestions are highly appreciated!

Russ

Istar
Hey guys,
I searched the forum but did not find a post on this, but I may have missed it.

I am looking for an affordable copyeditor for my fantasy manuscript (113,000 words). I've spoken to many editors but haven't found the one for me.

However, Ashley Davis at Ashley Davis ? Professional Editor » Editing Services has gained my attention. Anyone have any experience with this editor?

Any suggestions are highly appreciated!

Affordable is in the eye of the beholder. Ashley seems a hair on the low side price wise.

She also claims to read about 10,000 words or 40 pages a minute. That is odd.

I would send in your sample and look at the sample edit. I would get in contact with a few working pros she has edited for and talk to them about their experience.

I also recommend considering where the editor lives when you hire one. People love the internet, but nothing beats actually sitting down and talking with your editor about your book in person. I remember when my wife got her book edited by a freelancer before submission, we flew to NYC and spend 12 hours with the editor talking about the book (amongst other things). It really helped build and deepen that important relationship.

C

Chessie

Please, please, please....get sample edits from several editors, not just one or two. There are also different kinds of editors, which one do you need? Depending on how clean your manuscript is and how sharp/mature your craft is (and by mature I just mean if you've been at this for a long time and aren't still just learning how to form narrative), it will depend what kind of editor you will most benefit from.

So, there are line editors who will target your narrative and often (if you have a good one) they'll tell you where improvement in the story needs to be made, there are developmental editors that only comment on story. A lot of people will recommend developmental editors for newbies still learning story. It's certainly an investment. I used one once, and it was a good experience but it cost a pretty penny and only used her for one book. Think wisely on this one, since you can learn story structure from craft books and just reading plenty. Also, there are copy editors, which you definitely want, as they will sharpen the presentation of your manuscript (they do more than this, just being general here).

OP, I will PM you the name of an editor I ran across on Kboards. She's been in the business a long time, is friendly, and often runs sales. :)