• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Book Blurb

LadyofKaos

Scribe
Not sure if this belongs here, but it does have to do with getting a book published. I'm needing expert Fantasy writers to review my book blurb. Tell me if I'm on the right path. Is this the thread to post it on? Thanks!

Russ

Istar
Not sure if this belongs here, but it does have to do with getting a book published. I'm needing expert Fantasy writers to review my book blurb. Tell me if I'm on the right path. Is this the thread to post it on? Thanks!

This seems to be as good as spot as any. Post it on up and if management wants it moved, they will move it to the right place for you.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
FYI and FWIW, the Support for Indie Authors over on Goodreads has a section specifically for this.
SIA Showcase for Readers and Writers Group (471 Members)

In case you are looking for additional voices. The folks here are quite helpful, though, so you should definitely post here at the least.

Fair warning: it's very difficult to judge a blurb other than "it catches my eye" or it doesn't.

C

Chessie

Writing book blurbs is hard but fear not, there are resources to assist you in this quest. First, it's copywriting. Read up a little on that and how it differs from writing fiction. You don't want a book description that is flowery and filled with details. Quick information wrapped in intriguing and ending in a cliffhanger question are good things to remember.

1. Find books like yours on Amazon. So if you wrote an epic fantasy, find books in epic fantasy on Amazon that are a) in the top 1k paid; b) books with a similar theme or plot to yours; c) copy and paste 3-5 of them on a word doc and study them—noting how they relate to one another but also differ. Practice writing yours like those.

2. Bryan Cohen's book: How to Write a Sizzling Synopsis: A Step-by-Step System for Enticing New Readers, Selling More Fiction, and Making Your Books Sound Good - Kindle edition by Bryan Cohen. Reference Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Libbie Hawker: Gotta Read It! - Five Simple Steps to a Fiction Pitch That Sells - Kindle edition by Libbie Hawker. Reference Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Libbie's youtube video on this topic: Write an Awesome Blurb or Query: Part 1 - YouTube

3. When writing your blurb, make sure to include character names, where they are in life/their internal conflict, their plot conflict, antagonist, a promise of what's to come in the form of a cliffhanger question.

Good luck. I don't know how many of these I've written and I suck super hard at it still, a year later. But I've improved with practice and so can you. A word of caution: on Fiverr, you can hire someone to write the description for you. Don't do this! You must learn how to write it yourself but most of all, they don't know the story intimately like you and therefore you will do a better job of selling the story to your potential readers.

LadyofKaos

Scribe
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and advices. I'll check out the Goodreads site. And, Chessie, I agree on learning to write my own blurbs. It's so hard but well worth it once you get the formula right! Y'all are great!