Thread: Language creation

Portfolio Entries

Language creation

Ok i creating s comic book series one of my 2 current wip. I managed to create alien names by putting Arabic and Chinese traditional words together. Now trying figure out synthetics for language like phrases and such. The alien society is very business snd money orientated. I am splitting the society into three sects. Business, religion( zen and strategy money preaching stuff) and the military. I want to create phrases for three sects or some sentence structures. Can anyone help or point me in right direction?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a list of conlang bloggers on the right side of this page. Scroll down past "Archives" until you get to "Contributors."

The trick, though, is that conlangers are hardcore linguistics nerds and they assume that anyone who's interested in conlangs knows as much about it as they already do. You're jumping in the deep end. If you want to really build a working language, you're going to have to study linguistics. If you want to just cram some words together -- which is totally cool, too -- there are plenty of engines out there that make up fantasy words, even based on RL languages.

I have a single blog post about my conlang here. Someday I'll likely do a whole website about it, or a blog post entirely in it.

Down the labyrinthine ways of my own mind
    Yeah...as much as I would like to create a conlang, I haven't tried. The idea seems too daunting.

Senior Member TheCrystallineEntity's Avatar
    Portfolio Entries
    ^I've created my own language, and included it in the back of my first book. Although it's more of a way of singing than a language [magical music and all].

5. Thanks Malik thanked for this post
    For inspiration you could look at the differences between Ecclesiastical Latin, Classic Latin and Vulgar Latin. I'm not an expert on the subject, but you could borrow some aspects of these. For example someone who knows ecclesiastical latin would be able to understand someone who knows classic latin, but would pronounce letters differently and sometimes use different words. On the contrary the same person would have difficulty understanding vulgar latin.
    Fear The Stilton Swindler, The Emmental Criminal, The Gouda Gangster, The Roquefort Robber, The Parmezan Pirate, The Cheddar Cheat, The Manchego Marauder, The Mozerella Mobster, The Sbrinz Prince, The Edam Imam, The Camembert Camorrista, The Limburger Pilferer.

Portfolio Entries
    Ayone know where i can get copy of he Lord of the Rings, Apendix F Part II from? i might as well take a look at that as well and see if i can glimmer at some level basics.

Quote Originally Posted by writeshiek33 View Post
    Ayone know where i can get copy of he Lord of the Rings, Apendix F Part II from? i might as well take a look at that as well and see if i can glimmer at some level basics.
    In the back of the third book. Last I checked, they don't sell them separately. (Considering Tolkien's training and career was linguistics, that he loved language, and that Sindharin was where he started the LOTR stories....I'm not certain you can call them "level basics".)

I'm slowly working on a conlang. Emphasis on slowly. It's definitely quite the undertaking. I was once told to check out The Language Construction Kit by Mark Rosenfelder. I haven't gotten around to really diving into it yet but the excerpts I have read have been helpful so far. It might be looking into for what you're trying to figure out

Portfolio Entries
    Thanks

Portfolio Entries
    Creating language is difficult especially when the two basics don't usually mix. I am using Arabic and traditional Chinese in english form.