Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Please help me not !@#$ my novel up

  1. #11
    If it helps the area the characters are mostly in there's a lot of homophobic people and by that mean 75 percent of the population.

  2. #12
    The reason why I wrote this is because when I went to edit my finished manuscript I realized I use every bad gay romance cliche and trope. So I panicked after having to delete over half my manuscript. Wich was frustrating, to be honest, so I panicked. The help and advice has been really helpful. I just didn't want to make my novel a bad romance trope thank you, everyone. Seriously though what would be some romance tropes for straight or gay characters that are best avoided?

  3. #13
    Just noticed your post count; welcome to the site!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lunaria1990 View Post
    The reason why I wrote this is because when I went to edit my finished manuscript I realized I use every bad gay romance cliche and trope. So I panicked after having to delete over half my manuscript. Wich was frustrating, to be honest, so I panicked. The help and advice has been really helpful. I just didn't want to make my novel a bad romance trope thank you, everyone. Seriously though what would be some romance tropes for straight or gay characters that are best avoided?
    The idea that people of compatible gender and orientation can't be "just" friends unless one of them is taken (I'm looking at you, When Harry Met Sally). Does either of your guys have a platonic relationship with a gay-guy friend in which neither one would ever dream of dating the other even if they were both available?

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunaria1990 View Post
    If it helps the area the characters are mostly in there's a lot of homophobic people and by that mean 75 percent of the population.
    "Homophobic" is a buzz word. That doesn't tell us anything.

    Look, here's a true story that I happened to read this morning.

    Have you ever ruined someone's life?

    Spoiler for TL;DR version:
    No cheating, read the darn thing.


    Is this the sort of story that could be told in your setting?

    The point that I'm trying to make is that unless you can really wrap your mind around the way people think or feel about something in your story, you're only making and asking for sweeping generalizations that can't really be answered.
    "Fairy tales are more than true, not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - G. K. Chesterton

    Catch My Trope Reboots and Other Articles
    Help us get started with Project Mythlands
    Read With Us in the Anatomy of Fiction Reading Group

  5. #15
    Ok, I'm going to have to elaborate again. The society that both my lead characters are in looks down on LGBTQ community to the point of you usually can't get any work and you might even get beat up for being anything but completely straight. So they are both in the closset. Then they realize they have feelings for eachother. At some point, they find out the feelings are returned and don't what they want to do because they're both scared of getting the other person in trouble.

    It was more having trouble writing gay characters in that kind of environment that I was having problems with. I don't know how someone who's gay would feel if they had to be in the closet all the time especially after realizing they love someone and that someone loves them two. And then when they do end up in a relationship together they have to hide it because of the way their society treats people who are gay.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunaria1990 View Post
    Ok, I'm going to have to elaborate again. The society that both my lead characters are in looks down on LGBTQ community to the point of you usually can't get any work and you might even get beat up for being anything but completely straight. So they are both in the closset. Then they realize they have feelings for eachother. At some point, they find out the feelings are returned and don't what they want to do because they're both scared of getting the other person in trouble.

    It was more having trouble writing gay characters in that kind of environment that I was having problems with. I don't know how someone who's gay would feel if they had to be in the closet all the time especially after realizing they love someone and that someone loves them two. And then when they do end up in a relationship together they have to hide it because of the way their society treats people who are gay.
    Have you looked into how people in the closet might find out that other people are too?

    Quote Originally Posted by Devor View Post
    "Homophobic" is a buzz word. That doesn't tell us anything.
    Spoiler for Slightly Off-topic:
    Is "writer" a buzz word because it "doesn't tell us anything" about what the person writes or why?
    Last edited by Simpson17866; 5-19-17 at 4:47 PM.

  7. #17
    Senior Member Penpilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,723
    Reputation
    7511
    Often I find that finding something similar from your own life and applying it to the fictional situation can help a lot.

    As others have said a gay relationship is basically the same as a straight one. It all depends on the people and the situation.

    Now lets look at your character's situation. If we remove their sexuality from the equation for the moment, how is their situation similar to others?

    To me it's a little like forbidden love like Romeo and Juliet. It's like being an outsider and not belonging, like the cliche introverted, nerdy kid who meets another nerdy, introverted kid, and they bond over shared interest like DnD. It's like someone, who has to shatter their parents' expectation, because they don't want to go into the family business, because they have a path of their own to follow.

    Obviously, these things aren't exactly the same, but they touch on similar emotions, so you can draw from that and apply it to a different situation. Have you ever felt like an outsider? Have you have had a secret you don't want other's to know? If you do, then you have something to work with.
    -Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.
    -A society which emphasizes uniformity is one which creates intolerance and hate.

  8. Thanks FifthView, T.Allen.Smith thanked for this post
  9. #18
    Senior Member FifthView's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,573
    Reputation
    5004
    Penpilot brings up a great point.

    There is a feeling of difference or being different that never quite leaves a gay man, a consequence of being born into families full of heterosexual members and living in a world where the percent population who are gay men is rather small compared to the whole population size. If the society also stigmatizes homosexuality, this feeling can be exacerbated.

    BUT I wouldn't say this feeling or experience is 100% a "gay thing." Children with 189 IQs, or who have required a wheel chair all their lives, or who have congenital deafness, or who have grown up a member of a small ethnic minority in a community dominated by large numbers of another ethnic group, or....The list goes on. The feeling of difference is not a "gay thing" but a human thing. It's also not something that requires a lifetime of feeling different; most of us have experienced a kind of isolating difference from time to time as we've moved into new areas of life and have expanded our interaction with the world at large.

    So this personal experience is something we can tap into. The great thing is that our readers will also have had similar experiences.

  10. Thanks T.Allen.Smith thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Please help me not !@#$ my novel up   Please help me not !@#$ my novel up   Please help me not !@#$ my novel up