Thread: Cleaning blood off clothes

Cleaning blood off clothes

So a character is travelling through the desert. She's attacked by bandits and, killing them all, ends up covered in blood. Is there any feasible way for her to clean the blood off her clothes, hair, etc, in the middle of the desert, or is she just going to have to remain covered in dried blood from head to toe for the duration of the journey?

Portfolio Entries
    I doubt there'd be much water. Could use sand to soak up the excess, and she would probably sweat off the rest.
    Explore the power of your imagination...

Down the labyrinthine ways of my own mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryphos View Post
    So a character is travelling through the desert. She's attacked by bandits and, killing them all, ends up covered in blood. Is there any feasible way for her to clean the blood off her clothes, hair, etc, in the middle of the desert, or is she just going to have to remain covered in dried blood from head to toe for the duration of the journey?
    Every woman knows that the way to clean off blood is cold water immediately.

No cold water in the desert, though.

Hmm...Is there a reason why you don't want her covered in blood? I ask this because writers often get stuck on problems of making things less uncomfortable and inconvenient for their main characters, when in fact the other way is more interesting. Making things worse is almost always better than making them better, lol.
    i am a dragon with torn and broken wings,
    but i am still a dragon

4. Thanks Aurora thanked for this post
    Unless she finds the right kind of cactus, given that succulents exist in the desert she's in, heroine will most likely remain covered in blood. She wouldn't want to waste the water in her canteen on nothing more than washing her face and hands.

6. Thanks Rkcapps thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonOfTheAerie View Post
    Hmm...Is there a reason why you don't want her covered in blood? I ask this because writers often get stuck on problems of making things less uncomfortable and inconvenient for their main characters, when in fact the other way is more interesting. Making things worse is almost always better than making them better, lol.
    Oh, there's no reason at all. In fact, I really like the idea of her spending the rest of the story covered in blood. I was just wondering.

Portfolio Entries
    A conveniently located oasis. Or ocean. Or perhaps the bandits were Chlorox smugglers?

Barring that, rubbing hands, face, hair and body with sand is going to be the best she can manage.

Down the labyrinthine ways of my own mind
    Oh, there's no reason at all. In fact, I really like the idea of her spending the rest of the story covered in blood. I was just wondering.
    then have her spend the rest of the story covered in blood

I'm assuming it is fairly warm and dry in the desert? The blood will dry out fairly quickly and a lot of it will just rub off. It will settle in to creases and seams and as it goes dark brown they will look more stained and grubby than bloody.
    One reason for perhaps getting rid of the blood is Flies. Even small amounts of sweat-wet blood would be enough to attract flies. If nothing else they'd be a damned nuisance...
    Gibson: No, I... I have to write some letters first.

Unless she happens to be attacked while she was changing and conveniently only dressed in underclothes...
    Check out my blog Easy Peasy Fiction!