Thread: New kid at school

New kid at school

So I have a character who has been homeschooled his whole life and is prone to looking prideful. How likely is it on his first day at a public high school he would get into a fight? Having never really experienced this I am kinda unhelpful to myself lol.
    “The truth may hurt, but it is never so agonizing as the dagger of lies we tell ourselves.”
    ― Wayne Thomas Batson

Wouldn't it depend a lot on the school and the societal culture?
    In the schools I went to [in "nice" parts of the UK], then chances would be pretty low of getting in to a fight. But if they acted like an ass, then they would probably be laughed at and then isolated. They would NEVER get invited to parties or sleep-overs... A social death worse than any beating!!! [well sort of...]
    Gibson: No, I... I have to write some letters first.

I think, unless it is a rough school, the probability is low. But, if it happened, I would not call in implausible. Maybe the school bully is just having a bad day and the new kid showed up. Still, I think it low, as it takes a while for relationships to form, or not form, so I am thinking it would take a little bit before someone started to dislike him enough to want to cause a fight.

It really depends on the high school in question. In the one I went to, quite high. In others, highly unlikely.

But if it helps your story I would not be incredulous if that happened.
    “Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”- John Wayne

Yeah, in my High School it would have been pretty easy actually. I'm was a super goodie goodie jock type (field hockey, swimming, basketball etc) and I almost got beat up by a girl on my first day of grade 11 biology because I spoke to her in a "rude" tone.

This was how the scenario went (if it helps):

First, I went to a small town, "inner city" school. High poverty rate. Lots of kids who had been "fending for themselves" and building up tough exteriors for a long time.

My buddy and I knew the teacher really well because the teacher was the school swim coach and both my friend and I had been swimming on the swim team since grade 8.

Mr. M asked my friend and I to grab a binder he had left in his car. When we got back this girl in the class I had never met before asked (in insinuating tones... my friends was male)... "Ohhhhhhhh, what were you two doing?"

I said, nonchalontly "None of your business."

Then she lost her freaking mind.

"Who do you think you are talking to me like that...b*tch" etc, etc, etc. I guess she was pretty used to be the boss of stuff. She lunged at me from her desk to smack me (I know right? Crazy. There was also a lot of crystal meth at my school). But *jock*, so I literally did the thing where I held her forehead at arms length and she couldn't get me.

Ahhhhhhh. That is one of my favourite High School memories.
    Last edited by Heliotrope; 9-14-17 at 4:00 PM.
    Is your New Years Resolution to read more?
    Anatomy of Fiction: A Reading Group for Writers