Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would happen if...

What would happen if...

Hello. Wow, it's been a while since I posted here.

Basically, there's a continent in my story which is heavily cursed, affecting it's inhabitants, it's weather, it's animals, the land - nearly everything. I've come up with a number of diseases with very painful symptoms that the inhabitants of this land are prone to. One of them, which I haven't named, causes the afflicted to feel as though they are starving. As the disease worsens they start to smell food that isn't there, and if none is available they will try to eat anything they can.

Now, in the story I'm writing at the moment a band of friends journey to this land and their leader gains a position of power among a clan of the natives. One of the friends happens to develop this disease and despite efforts to cure him, he gradually gets worse. The leader, supposedly the friends companion, refuses to let him be put out of his misery and gives the order that the friend is given as much food as he wants.

So what would happen if someone kept eating nonstop? Those with the disease will always feel starving no matter what, and so the man will be left to gorge himself constantly. So I'm wondering what the end result of this would be. I imagine he'd get sick a lot but I'm sure there'd be more drastic consequences than that.

I adopt and foster rescue cats, and some of them- after having lived on the brink of starvation for too long- have serious food issues. They will literally bolt food frenetically until they puke, and then go back and eat some more. I have to carefully ration their food, and isolate them from the other pets during mealtimes.

I imagine the same would happen to a human who just kept eating and eating- eventually they'd just start vomiting it back up. Now you have an upset stomach and burning throat, which would make further eating painful and nausea-inducing- I could see getting into a cycle where you continue eating but can't keep anything down. Eventually, your body would start starving to death.

Ironic, huh?
    Last edited by Kit; 1-29-13 at 4:13 AM.

In myth if not reality, it was a form of torture to force-feed someone until food filled their stomach and throat up to their mouths. If the food was dry it could well rehydrate inside someone and kill them very painfully by tearing or splitting stomachs or choking throats and at the least it could dehydrate the person.
    I'm diabetic so given the right conditions [i.e. very wrong foods, fats and sugars] too much could quickly put me in to a coma that if left untreated could lead to internal organ failure, blindness and even death. So even if there where no "wounds" it could well leave someone extremely ill.
    If they have a compulsion to eat anything [to put thing into their mouths and swallow] then all manner of things could go wrong and they start eating glass, pottery, metal, stones etc...
    Gibson: No, I... I have to write some letters first.

Read Sara Douglass' Wayfarer Redemption. Pretty sure she has a similar demonic curse/disease and they even eat rocks in their gluttony. It's really dark.

Choking would be the most immediate hazard, aslo tearing anywhere from the throat to the stomach or beyond. Burst blood vessels, ulcers, piles. Depression, heart attacks, allergic reactions and poisoning are also possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Basically, there's a continent in my story which is heavily cursed, affecting it's inhabitants, it's weather, it's animals, the land - nearly everything. I've come up with a number of diseases with very painful symptoms that the inhabitants of this land are prone to....
    My question is why would this awful place still be inhabited? In Earth's history even primitive peoples migrated when the needs arose.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    My question is why would this awful place still be inhabited? In Earth's history even primitive peoples migrated when the needs arose.
    Then again we stayed put when the plague swept through.....

Quote Originally Posted by WyrdMystic View Post
    Then again we stayed put when the plague swept through.....
    The plague swept through Europe quickly; for instance in 1347 the plague hit Messina in Sicily, a year later it was in London. The continent Morgoth has described seems permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    The plague swept through Europe quickly; for instance in 1347 the plague hit Messina in Sicily, a year later it was in London. The continent Morgoth has described seems permanent.
    Although, what isn't written about so much is the plague kept re-occuring every now and then up to the 19th century. It's not a stretch to see that as a curse and for some it would of been a permanent fear.

Also, when the plague hit Britain - they didn't try and run, they tried to barricade themselves IN.

I'll admit though, it was a poor example. The way I see it, if you believe, really believe, that you're cursed and there's no way out, some will run, some will stay and suffer.

Also, a good curse never lets you leave

Quote Originally Posted by WyrdMystic View Post
    Also, a good curse never lets you leave
    Unless you're Rumplestiltskin --but that's a whole different curse.
    For more about the paranormal thriller SHADOWED and the Unified Writing Field Theory blog, see www.KenHughesAuthor.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast