• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Underking by Michael Roebling

The Underking is the first in a short story series within the flourishing Kingdom of Launden. The story focuses on the Lord of Darkhollow Manor, a young lord called Farrow Kabal. The mysterious Lord of the southern hills of Launden, a recluse who nevertheless is called the Hero of the South, conqueror of the ancient Darkhollow. He is joined by his loyal right hand, Sir Faust, and his recently acquired attendant Merra. However, Not all is as it seems in Darkhollow Manor, and the enigmatic Lord’s eyes have suddenly begun to look to the north, but what exactly does he see in the heart of the kingdom?

This is the first of three stories in the series focused on Farrow Kabal and his companions, the series itself is called Thrice Bound in Silence, and serves as one of the introductions to my own world, Edain. Once the Thrice Bound in Silence series is complete, there will be three other series of stories set in different places, expanding upon the world, crafting and expanding setting material. I am also working on making Edain a setting for Dungeons and Dragons fifth edition.

The world and setting is a mixture of dark fantasy and few other themes that are revealed over the course of several of the stories. It expands on a world with mysterious origins, and a legend that transcends the echoes of eternity. I hope that some of you will find the story enjoyable.