• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Goblins at the Gates available

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Success at last. My novel of Altearth, Goblins at the Gates, is now available at Amazon. It's ebook only right now; the print version should come available in a day or two. Below is blurb, link and cover.

At the edge of the Roman Empire, a quarter million goblins swarm through the province of Dacia. The Empire's best hope of stopping them lies with a Roman aristocrat who hates the army but who finds himself in command of a border legion, and a barbarian princess who has been exiled from her tribe for using magic. Everyone is swept up in the calamity, including a love-sick boy who makes water statues, an outcast named Fist, and a little girl with a war dog. Everyone will be needed. Not everyone will survive.

Amazon.com: Goblins at the Gates: An Altearth Tale eBook: Ellis Knox: Kindle Store

GoblinsAtTheGatesFinal-FJM_Low_Res_250x375.jpg

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Good to hear. I've heard (read I suppose) you talking about ita few times and it seemed like an interesting premise. Always nice to hear that one of us managed to get their book done... I guess I should work a bit harder.

Last edited:

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I'd say my experience is surreal. There are these numbers. I make a couple of bucks (almost literally). None of it means much to me.

What means something to me is hearing from readers. Then I would have context and meaning. To quote Neil Young, "numbers add up to nothin'"

Aside from that, the whole process feels complicated. This is my third publication, but each time I have added layers. This time it's a mailing list and an interior illustration. Next time it will be to hire a formatter and an editor, in addition to a cover artist (and probably the cartographer again). Those who claim writing is an isolated endeavor perhaps come from another time. For here and now, there is a necessary team. That's probably the chief thing I learned this go-around.

Thanks for the encouragement from all. Mythic Scribes played an important role in this.

Aurora

Sage
I'd say my experience is surreal. There are these numbers. I make a couple of bucks (almost literally). None of it means much to me.

What means something to me is hearing from readers. Then I would have context and meaning. To quote Neil Young, "numbers add up to nothin'"

Aside from that, the whole process feels complicated. This is my third publication, but each time I have added layers. This time it's a mailing list and an interior illustration. Next time it will be to hire a formatter and an editor, in addition to a cover artist (and probably the cartographer again). Those who claim writing is an isolated endeavor perhaps come from another time. For here and now, there is a necessary team. That's probably the chief thing I learned this go-around.

Thanks for the encouragement from all. Mythic Scribes played an important role in this.

A team is correct! Writing is the easy part. Publishing is a whole other gig. I love doing it but I nearly bite off my fingernails every time I hit publish.

Anyway, good luck to you! And yes, hearing from readers is always so nice! :D

Nimue

Auror
Congratulations, Skip! The cover and your website both look fantastic, you have a good graphic designer there. I usually don't read indie fantasy, but I had to put Goblins on my kindle and check it out, since I've heard so much about it on MS. Here's to the next one!

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Great to hear, Nimue. The website will continue to grow. I have a whole list of articles I'll be adding to it in the coming months, both Altearth and real-world (medieval Europe) stuff.

Next one is in process. I'm undergoing the middle-of-the-novel writhing pains, but aiming for a December completion. No idea for a release date. I had Goblins done for about three months before all the other stuff was in place--cover, map, website revamp, learn MailChimp, etc. Some of that, at least, is one-time only.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to post here. The one thing we all dread is making our announcement to an empty hallway.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I keep looking at your sig file, Svrtnsse, and doing this

Lost werewolves train dogs
Werewolves dog a lost train
Trained dogs on a lost werewolf
Werewolf's dog lost on a train

I can't help myself. Gotta be a story in there somewhere. :)

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I’ll leave a review after I’ve read it, Skip. I’m in trial and it’s taking up so much freaking time I’ve done little reading, but I will get there.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Thanks, Steerpike. I've heard judges don't like it when they see the attorneys reading novels in court. They're so judgmental.