• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Challenges subforum

Chilari

Staff
I think we should have a challenges and writing games subforum. It'd be a place where we can do writing challenges, set them for each other, have a go at things other people are doing, play some writing games like "add a paragraph" stories and "no E" stories and writing stories from the point of view of inanimate objects and stuff. You know, for practise, fun, something different to do. It'd be cool.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I like the 'add a paragraph' idea especially, though I'd say make it add X amount of words, since some paragraphs i.e. dialogue, tend to be very short.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
If enough people express interest, we can start this forum as soon as our membership increases a bit more. We're growing at a steady pace now, so we should be there soon.

Who else is interested in participating in a challenges forum?

Ravana

Istar
I actually already put up one challenge thread in the Showcase… though I did also suggest in it that it would probably be appropriate to move these to a subforum if the idea catches on, to avoid clutter there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be interested in a challenge sub-forum. I like the idea of having a place to present my own challenge, or to go seeking inspiration/diversion!

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Would you guys prefer for the challenges forum to be public, or private like the Showcase forum? We can also make it a sub-forum beneath the Showcase forum.

Thoughts?

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
To avoid any confusion, it may be helpful to make sure that we're all on the same page regarding forum nomenclature. :)

Many different forum packages are available, and each one has it's own way of doing things. This site is running vBulletin 4 (my personal favorite), and it uses different terminology than some other software packages.

With vBulletin this message board is divided into several main sections (i.e. Fantasy Writing, Fantasy Media, etc). Within each section there are different forums (i.e. Suggestions & Feedback, Writing Questions, Showcase, etc). Hence this message board is labeled as "forums" as opposed to "forum." This can be really confusing, as so many message boards handle this differently.

When adding a new area such as the one proposed, we have two options. We can create an entirely new forum within the Fantasy Writing section, or we can create a subforum beneath Showcase. Either option requires certain considerations.

Also, would you guys prefer for it to be private, or open for public viewing?

Amanita

Maester
Well, I think, a subforum within the Showcase would be the most practical. This way, everything written by us would be in one place.

Oh definitely private.... This way only the ones doing it know what's going on and then there's like a zero chance of theft since we'll all be doing it o_O

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Hey gang,

We've gone ahead and created the challenges subforum. We're normally hesitant about adding new forums, as having too many for the membership size can be deadly to a new community. But since this is a subforum within an established forum, and the challenges are happening already, this shouldn't be a problem.

BD

Ravana

Istar
Thanks. I think it should keep the "main" Showcase from getting too cluttered that way. Now we just need a couple more people to take up the gauntlets that've been thrown down so far.… ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would, but I'm absolutely horrible at flash fiction, so I'll probably be abstaining unless there is a prompt I just can't resist.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Some of the stuff I'm writing is more like a "scene" than actual flash fiction. Just a part of something that could be bigger if it wanted to be. I believe others are doing the same sort of thing.

I'll have to dream up a challenge that shall bring you over to the other side!