• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Weekly challenges

I've just done a batch of the weekly challenges (well, relatively 'just' - I'm not all that fast) despite the fact that I didn't respect the weekliness - or, for that matter, anything else much, except the subject. I suspect they've all been massively overlong (as an excuse it's such a relief to stretch out when I've been doing stories restricted to seventy-five or a hundred words) and not sufficiently to the point.

Would it not be worthwhile to sticky an 'instructions' (or 'suggestions', or 'rules') thread to the head of the subforum? Giving indications of acceptable length, delivery deadlines (or at least seriously sick lines - I originally thought the entries had to be posted within the week of the subject going up, but soon noticed not everyone (if anyone) was sticking to this so let rip.

I met (this weekend) a thread well down in the pile which seemed to suggest 500 - 1,000 words as length - but it's well concealed, and not over specific - a sort of 'everybody knows' explanation.

Because challenges are more challenging, more interesting when they are more specific.