• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Posting about Kickstarters? Yay or nay?

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Ahoy,

At regular intervals I come across Kickstarter projects that I find really cool and that I think may be of interest to people with an interest in fantasy etc. and I'm thinking it might be nice to share them here.
The concern is that maybe it'd be considered advertising/promotion/spam and that as such it'd be better to stay away from it.

I checked the forum guidelines and advertising isn't listed under prohibited behaviours, but I still figured it'd be best to ask first. Maybe we could have a single thread, kind of like the ones about what you're reading/listening to/playing at the moment and people could add interesting projects they've discovered there?

What say you?

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I got very politely wrapped on the knuckles for posting a link to the "Let's build Minas Tirth" Kickstarter...
BTW, They failed to raise the £1.85Bn they were looking for.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I've seen a few good ones, too. There was one that was a deck of "idea cards" that you shuffle through when you're stuck with your writing, things like "Kill a character" and "Change the setting," to jump start your thinking. It was definitely a writing resource. And certainly there are quite a few kickstarters that are fantasy-related.

IMO it's part of the industry and deserves a place. But it also means a lot of advertisements, and if someone's using it to raise money to write a novel, that's kind of a difficult venture that I'm not in favor of promoting. Many of them fall through even after raising enough funds, which would feel like we're leading people into a type of trap. And there aren't really other products that we promote - just a handful of books.

I would really love to hear more about cool new kickstarters, so you're not the only one. I just don't know if this should be the place for it or not.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Fair points.

There's a lot of cool stuff out there, but it's also not really what this site is about - especially as there are things that don't come through the way they're expected to.