• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Thanks notifications

Nimue

Auror
Has everybody else stopped getting "thanks" notifications as well? Is this intentional or a bug? I liked knowing that it would send a note when I thanked a post, particularly if it was something I didn't have a reply to, just wanted to support.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I just got a couple of "thanks" notifications, so everything seems normal for me. Not sure if there's an option to turn them off that you maybe accidentally hit somehow.

Nimue

Auror
...There's a setting for it in my profile. Definitely don't remember turning that off, but it must've happened at some point...

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I think some people can "stealth-thank" you. Occasionally I find some thanks but never received notification.

But I know who you are, Stealthy Thankers! …unless there are some of you who stealth-thank me then remove thanks so I never know I was thanked to begin with.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I think some people can "stealth-thank" you. Occasionally I find some thanks but never received notification.

But I know who you are, Stealthy Thankers! …unless there are some of you who stealth-thank me then remove thanks so I never know I was thanked to begin with.

Yeah, I think the stealth-thanks has to do with individuals using a phone app.

C

Chessie

Lol thanks for the note. I logged on and had 269 notifications! :p

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
UPDATE:

I removed the old Thanks system, and installed a new one. It seems to be working, but do let me know if you experience any issues.

Please note that when you log in for the first time (after this update) you will be notified of every Thanks that you have ever received. After you click on the notification, things should return to normal.

Seems to be working fine so far. I like the fact that when I thank someone else, that also shows up in the thanks list under my profile, and the fact that there's a new tab for that list. I always had difficulty trying to figure out how to view the old list after I'd already viewed it once.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Hey Black Dragon, is there still a limit on how many thanks you can give with this new system?

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Is there any way to make it just "Thanks" instead of "Thanks / Like"? Otherwise I like the new system, or will soon enough when I get used to it.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Is there any way to make it just "Thanks" instead of "Thanks / Like"? Otherwise I like the new system, or will soon enough when I get used to it.

There's no way to remove that. The reason is that this particular Thanks system also includes a "Like" feature, giving members the option to Like posts rather than giving Thanks.

If you guys are interested, we can also turn on the Like system and see how it goes. We could do it as a trial run. What do you think?

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
There's no way to remove that. The reason is that this particular Thanks system also includes a "Like" feature, giving members the option to Like posts rather than giving Thanks.

If you guys are interested, we can also turn on the Like system and see how it goes. We could do it as a trial run. What do you think?

Is there much of a difference between the two?

For me, I kind of like that Thanks isn't Like and doesn't feel like Facebook.

I've used the Thanks feature to mean both, thanks and I like. The numbers accumulated so far are therefore a blend of the two. Introducing a separate Like would muddy those totals so far.

At first, when new to this site, the Thanks option confused me because for me thanking and liking are two different things. But then I rolled with it.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I don't know. I can't find anything about that in the documentation. Could you let us know in this thread if you encounter a limit?

Sure, if I reach a limit I will. I believe that the limit used to be around 15 thanks in a few hours or so. Just wondering if that limit still applied, but I haven't reached it yet despite generous thanking :) .