• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Inspirational dreams..

Aegle

Minstrel
Most of my inspiration is derived from ongoing dreams and nightmares I've been subjected to. :rolleyes:
Last night I had a dream I was a drow/dark elf, and I was pillaging a village - of which had already, strategically ransacked! At least I was mounted -- and rode across the countryside and up mountain sides. ;D

The clarity and vividness of my dreams is truly overwhelming! Sometimes it's somewhat 'exhausting' to remain asleep in a dream state itself.

I had a dream last night that I was telling one of my stories to my psych class... then it took a strange turn when I was suddenly flying over a desert. then I ate an apple and woke up.

My dreams of late have either been apoclyptical in nature or they've been about trying to access memories using lightning rods or floating orbs or something (they've been strange).

I try to write them down because I know that somehow it will make its way into my stories somehow.

I did sumbit one to the showcase - The Game - which was a recurring nightmare I had as a kid. It still needs some fleshing out, but everything else was exactly how I dreamt it. It was terrifying.....

Aegle

Minstrel
The majority of my dreams are Apocalyptic material. It's quite uncommon and obscure, if a night slips by without the euphoria of my subconscious elaborately terrorizing me. XD Frankly, I find it impressionable, as I remember those ongoing nightmares moreso than 'memories' of my past. o.o

Misusscarlet

Minstrel
I have random dreams. Really random. One night I'll be having an apocalyptic dream, where I find hundreds of dead mutilated bodies outside my apartment complex. I'll have a dream where I am now good buddies with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The dream I had last night was about spanish speaking aliens. (not to be confused with the border hoppers).

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
I have a lot of dreams about a zombie apocalypse, and other nightmarish things. I always prefer them to my nice dreams, because I wake up with an intense feeling, and they are more memorable.

Emeria

Scribe
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has really intense dreams and stuff. I wonder if it's something more common amongst people who write, particularly those of us who are fantasy or science fiction writers...

Xanados

Maester
I don't dream. That's probably because I don't sleep, though. Interesting, isn't it? Actually, when I do dream they are usually about nuclear war and natural disasters. So that's fun.

Dragonie

Scribe
Same here! Normally what I do is pick out certain elements from my dreams and incorporate them into my writing. Sometimes it works! Sometimes...it doesn't. Writing about something I've experienced in my dreams is kind of hard.

I have incredibly vivid dreams that bug me for days until I write them down - I then use these notes as the basis for my stories. I have even been known to dream in installments, where I dream the first half of a story one night then continue on with it the next. On one hand it's quite cool, but on the other it is a little creepy... I mean, what is going on in there?!

I also have a lot of zombiepocalypse (and, more recently, dinopocalypse) dreams, to the point where I now have my Zombie Apocalypse Survival Plan. Maybe that's why my subconscious swapped from Zombies to Dinosaurs... need a new strategy to deal with the Dinopocalypse :D

Addison

Auror
A lot of my inspiration comes from dreams. Heck at the most annoying points I get bombarded with ideas and tips when I'm trying to fall asleep. Then I have to turn on the light-blind myself-find my notebook and scribble it down. Once I had a dream and I guess it was a nightmare 'cause I remember it had an alligator in it, and the alligator's jaws were open right beside my head. I clearly heard the drawling snarl and the snap as they shut just shy of my ear. Yet what I was seeing was my headboard. I guess part of wanted to wake up but the other part wanted to see if I died. It kinda reminded me of a writing prompt I read. "A new drug is invented so we can remember our dreams. Turns out we forgot them for a reason.". So this near death-by-nightmare-alligator is slowly brewing into a supernatural sci-fi story.