• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

YouTube Documentation

Ok so has anyone ever tried documenting what their world is through thin notes with explanations through YouTube videos on a channel?

They don't necessarily even have to be public but they'd be uploaded so you could put them in a playlist and find what info you want easily and it would be however you wanted to set it up. You could even then attach the video links to the notes pertaining to that section for reference reasons!

Just an idea, I think I'm gonna try it out soon though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personaly write everything down. I find it easier to make my notes and refer to them using the typed up notes in a separate document on the same screen. Less likelihood for distracting my self with Epic Rap Battles of history that way.

I personaly write everything down. I find it easier to make my notes and refer to them using the typed up notes in a separate document on the same screen. Less likelihood for distracting my self with Epic Rap Battles of history that way.

True true. I guess it's more of an artistic representation for later formatting of a "Silmarillion" style novel or novels. Like... you could theoretically use it as a starting point for new readers I guess Xd

I hate listening to myself droning on. It's the primary reason I've never considered starting a podcast. I prefer to leave everything in highly indexed notes on my computer or, at most, a wiki group.

I hate listening to myself droning on. It's the primary reason I've never considered starting a podcast. I prefer to leave everything in highly indexed notes on my computer or, at most, a wiki group.

Yeah, I enjoy making podcasts but I don't think I have the personality for people to like it XD so I'm not worried about looking bad. Although I'd like to make them pretty involved movies with maps and possibly music and some light animations if I can get my laptop soon enough. My setup is pretty ghetto as of right now for literally everything Xd

Alyssa

Troubadour
I suspect that it you try and document your worldbuilding via video notes you'll end up leaving big pauses for breath while you're up thinking about the next important topic that links into it. Also, if you need to change something important about your world it might mean that you'll have to redo several videos to correct them. That being said, recording your stream of consciousness is not a bad thing by any measure

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
True, Alyssa. But at that point, why not just record some sound files and put them on Dropbox? Easier and lighter weight than YouTube. But if there's going to be real video, that is a whole new layer of work. I'd have to have a compelling reason for doing so, especially since I lack the visual skills and would have to hire it.

For some people, making video is a snap. I have met them and know they exist. For such a strange, alien creature, I think YouTube would be a good fit in one fashion or another.

True, Alyssa. But at that point, why not just record some sound files and put them on Dropbox? Easier and lighter weight than YouTube. But if there's going to be real video, that is a whole new layer of work. I'd have to have a compelling reason for doing so, especially since I lack the visual skills and would have to hire it.

For some people, making video is a snap. I have met them and know they exist. For such a strange, alien creature, I think YouTube would be a good fit in one fashion or another.

Haha yeah, this brings up the fact that I have an addiction to many many many things and none of them are my passion. So my YouTube channel is full of sad attempts at filmography XD I'm excited to start trying, when I do I'll drop a link. I have all the main races down, starting on the creatures. I have a map and I have a timeline set up