• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How to show others what happens when your destiny is removed

Aeryn

Dreamer
(tried to find a better title, but couldn't! If it needs to be changed, let me know!)
Hi everyone!
In my story one character is from birth destined to protect the main character. Yet, as the story progress, the character will have it's doubts about his destiny and his destiny will be removed from him (there is only one wizard in the entire world who is capable of doing that and he finds that wizard). To remove your destiny you were born for, comes with a price.

Now. I was thinking that where you felt alive, all of a sudden your world would turns cold. You wouldn't be able to speak as much as you could (because what's there to talk about when you don't have a destiny anymore?) and people might even not understand what you're saying. It will be hard for them to function on their own, and they would always need help to survive.

I understand it's a bit extreme and maybe one of you know a better way on how to display it better on what happens when your destiny gets removed. Another thing I was thinking about is that there is a way of getting your destiny back. You either have to regrain strength again. Meaning someone always have to be with him to help him through the day (quite the hard task), or there is another more simple way by killing the wizard who removed his destiny, but that won't happen for another more years.

Any thoughts on this? I'm sure I have missed something while creating this :) !

Another thought. The first events of the book serie takes places in the modern world. So, an entrance to the other world has to be build. I was thinking that the main character along with her two best friends, participates in a LARP game (Live Action Role Playing Game) and all of sudden find themselves in the fantasy world. It's the only way I can think of, but maybe there are better ways?

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Hi Aeryn,

Are you sure you've got the right word? How does a man know his "destiny" in order toget it changed? I think you mean some sort of purpose. As in he was raised from birth, possibly magically, to fulfill a certain purpose, and that has become the cornerstone of his life.

As to what you might expect to see, I'd look at the psychology of it. If this man has had this purpose, this surity in his life about what his life is to be, then he'd be experiencing two powerful emotions. One would be freedom as he's no longer doomed to a certain path in life. The other would be literally a loss of purpose, perhaps leading to an aimlessness - now that he no longer has a purpose to fulfill - what does he do with his life?

Cheers, Greg.

Aeryn

Dreamer
Hi Greg!
Yes, thank you so much! Purpose is indeed the right word for it! He has been raised since birth for his purpose and no matter how hard he tries, there is always an unknown force/push that forces him to go back to his purpose. That force can only be broken by that one wizard (as far as I'm concerned right now). He is born to do this (for him it feels like he is forced). He really wants to find his own purpose/destiny :) .

I indeed can see him just wondering around and about in the future. Not knowing where to go right now (despite the fact he's free). That for sure is going to be interesting! I'll have to look a bit more in to it in what will happen to him after he has lost his purpose of life. Thank you so much! Will have a further look in this with your lovely advice!

Greetings, Yara

Futhark

Inkling
Interesting idea. I don't really have any thoughts for you, but I do have some questions that may help. How, or who, gave him his purpose in the first place? Can he acquire a different purpose or is there only one path for him? What does the wizard gain from removing his purpose? You mentioned he could be weaker, will this affect his memory or decision making abilities etc. as well? Does he regret losing his purpose?
Good luck.

Aeryn

Dreamer
Thank you so much for your questions Futhark! I'll answer them for you here:
How, or who, gave him his purpose in the first place?: The angels gave him the purpose for his life.

Can he acquire a different purpose or is there only one path for him?: most likely not. Once an angel has given you a purpose for your life, it's hard not to follow that path. In a way, he is forced on it, but I'm sure the Angels do it to protect him, that, without that path, he would turn to the bad side and in that way, they sort of protect him (he is the brother of the protagonist). I guess, the only other path he can wander will be the dark path.

What does the wizard gain from removing his purpose?: Information about the protagonist. Where she is hiding at this very moment (to train and prepare herself for what is about to come :) ). Other then that. He gains nothing. He might also do it so he can use this boy as bait as the protagonist for sure will come safe him.

You mentioned he could be weaker, will this affect his memory or decision making abilities etc. as well?: Now you mention it... I'm not quite sure about that. My guess will be that his decision abilities have lessened. Still, am not sure of it. Will have to give it a better look on it!

About the Angels. They are the ones who give those a purpose who are able to protect the protagonist. The Angels are the one who connect the Protector to it's purpose. As long as the connection is there, he will be on his path. The moment the connection is broken, the Protector has lost it's purpose of life (just like it will happen to him). The only way to do that is to find someone who is able to remove your connection from your purpose/angels and the other only way to that is to TRULY want to get rid of your purpose (most of them don't want it and want to stay in the safe place. B (let's call him that for a moment) has the strong desire to get rid of his purpose.

I know it's a bit vague and will have to look a bit more deeply in it. The Angels however are the ones who decide whose purpose it will be to protect the protagonist (I can understand that without the plot line it all seems a bit vague :) ).
(I'm truly sorry if a few sentences do sound a bit strange. I'm Dutch and English unfortunately isn't my first language :) ).

Queshire

Auror
Well it seems pretty clear to me that you want being fateless to be portrayed as a bad thing. I'm the opposite so I'm not sure how much help I can offer. It does seem to me that the sort of effects you describe are maybe a bit too negative?

Honestly it seems to remove any sort of struggle over the idea. I mean, being unable to even take care of yourself afterwards? It's like you're writing in big red letters for the readers HE MADE THE WRONG CHOICE.

I could see it working as an initial plot hook. You could have something like say some knight has to go out questing to retrieve the princess' lost destiny, stolen from her by some evil sorcerer. Only in the end it turns out the princess chose that path. That'd work, but as described it seems too punishing.

Aeryn

Dreamer
This is already a HUGE help Queshire! I myself am more of a positive/optimism person and still have yet to learn that everyone has their own path they wish to choose :) . Now that you say it, you're right. But now? How will I be able to balance that? Your last paragraph says something useful as well!
What if... B accepts his purpose, but gets kidnapped by the antagonist? That he uses B as bait to get to A (she is the protagonist). And that he removes B purpose not only because B wants to, but also to get him on his side? Something like that?

Through your message I've now learned that with me it is either the one way or the other and never in between! Thank you for that insight Queshire :D !

Please let me know your insights on this Queshire. In how I'll be able to make it seem less as a bad thing? With less punishment, but maybe more struggle?

Futhark

Inkling
So, I'm guessing that the wizard is opposed to the angel's agenda? If that's so, then perhaps he could have had a hand in B's decision to remove his purpose. Also, B could be unaware of the side effects. That way you could keep the punishment if you want, and the struggle becomes trying to restore himself with this heavy burden.

(Your English is not too bad. There are people here in Australia that have spoken English their whole lives and say stuff like; I brought this at the market, or; I have to ax you. Ax me, why? I have to ax you a question. Oh, ok.):D

Aeryn

Dreamer
Yes! The Angel's always made sure that those who had no purpose before they were born, had a purpose. B was one of the last ones to receive such a purpose as C (the evil wizard) is determined on unbalancing the world. With the world unbalanced, the Angel's can't do their job well, and most of the time miss giving someone a purpose (those usually either find one on their own or start to work for C). I really should write the plot down one of these days to make it all clear :) .

And I love your suggestions about having C have a hand in it as well. All B wants is to get rid of his purpose and find out on his own that the path he is on is truly his path instead of having the feeling he is forced on it since birth (hopefully that made sense). Maybe C could sort of lure him in to it and make him a guard from C (one way or another)? If C is capable of letting his own son join him then why not B as well (C's son didn't know about the existent of his father until later in the story and eventually joins him).

(Thank you so much for your compliments! Really? Wow :D ! Those are quite the mistakes! On the other hand, it gives a nice challenge to see what they are actually trying to say :D ).

elemtilas

Inkling
Aeryn" said:
In my story one character is from birth destined to protect the main character. Yet, as the story progress, the character will have it's doubts about his destiny and his destiny will be removed from him (there is only one wizard in the entire world who is capable of doing that and he finds that wizard). To remove your destiny you were born for, comes with a price.

A simple solution would be to mark the Purposeless person in some way. You say there is a price to pay the wizard, well, perhaps part of that fee is some kind of physical mark --- a blemish, a missing digit, a shock of bright green hair. Perhaps accompanied by personality change --- if he's no longer bound to watch over the main character, then perhaps this is shown by a shift in behaviour or belief. Something obvious that, in that particular kulturbund, everyone recognises as a deep change in a person; something unsettling and, well, quite unnatural about that person.

(Your English is not too bad. There are people here in Australia that have spoken English their whole lives and say stuff like; I brought this at the market, or; I have to ax you. Ax me, why? I have to ax you a question. Oh, ok.):D

This one always makes me smile. Ask and aks are simple continuations of the Old English verbs of inquiry, ascian and axian. A whole complex system of sound changes has given us parallel and sometimes competing dialects that influence each other in curious fashion. Aks is more native to the southern English region than the northern ask. Search me why the loan should supercede the native form. Language evolution is so much fun!

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Seems to me his response would be similar to that of one who has gotten divorced after many years of marriage, or been laid off after many years of working for the same company, or that of a parent who has lost a child. There would certainly be a period of not seeing the point to many of his own actions. Stages of grief might be in play. I think it takes a while to go from something you knew everyday to something that has to replace that. Maybe, you never quite recover or get over it, but life goes on.

Typical coping methods disengagement from life. Letting go of old routines (why wake up early if there is no place to go?). Depression, withdrawal, seeking others who can share the depression (why drink alone?), sadness, loss, and a lack of purpose. But you know, things will happen and new responsibilities arise. I would not expect him to stay that way.