• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Geography and Architecture

D. Gray Warrior

Troubadour
How does geography affect architecture?

The main region for my world is warm and subtrppical, so what would architecture look like? I'd imagine they would use a lot of wood for housing, but I was wondering if mudbrick is plausible?

Lisselle

Minstrel
Hi, I googled 'Subtropical', and Wiki told me ..." A humid subtropical climate is a zone of climate characterised by hot, usually humid summers and mild to cool winters. It normally lies on the southeast side of all continents, generally between latitudes 25° and 40°. It tends to be located at coastal or near coastal locations.
Humid subtropical climate" - Wikipedia.

It also told me that I live in a subtropical location.

I do not know the technological and engineering status of your World or its people, however here in Aus there are very successful mud brick homes, as well as timber and standard brick. Where I live is very hilly, so our yards are all split tier and homes with two or more split-levels.

We have temperature fluctuations of 46.8 degrees Celsius in summer, which is 116.24 F, (This past summer here was HELL) and 0 degrees C in winter, 32 F. The most successful houses here are straw Bale homes, as they regulate the extremes of temperature we have, and sandstone homes.

Have fun researching. :)

Lisselle

Minstrel
P.S - We do not have snow, maybe only once every two years in my town, so high, pointy roofs are not necessary. High ceilings which trap heat are not great either, so you would have to research homes and architecture which are adaptable to heat, drought, rain yet not blizzards or snow.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
To carry on from Lisselle [and that heat does sound awful. I live in a wonderfully maritime climate [so that mean lots of weather changes and rain, extremes of anything are out for me]
The architecture will depend on so many things. Materials, weather, technology; these will all change how things are designed. There are places where the style of building hasn't changed for a very long time but the materials and technology have, because they have found a style that works for their needs.
Google [other search engines are available :p] can be your friend.
Think of a real world place/climate that your location is similar too and then look at what the local buildings are like. You will often gain a range of time periods and their styles. Then you can follow whatever piques your interest.
If you have access to a [real books] library then a wander down the shelves can be time well spent.

Queshire

Auror
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........ Well I live in Minnesota which is about as far from subtropical as is possible.

Honestly I think geography is more important than climate. Lisselle mentioned the lack of sloped roofs due to lack of snow, but what's around them?

Do they live in a swampy land? They probably won't have basements since they'll just flood or they'll favor above ground crypts to underground graves for much the same reason.

Lots of stone around? Lots of trees? Hey, guess what they'll use to build their homes.

staiger95

Scribe
As mentioned, resources and technological advancement will have the greatest impact upon materials utilized for construction. Climate will determine the rest. As far as mud/brick and stone construction, they are very common in lower latitudes, so it is absolutely plausible. Do a little google research of the approximate geographical/historical setting that might be closest and you will be fine. Then take that and flesh it out within the fantasy realm and consider how other factors (magic, religion, races, whatever) might impact the development. Have fun, and always try to give it some unique, subtle flair of your own.

Foah

Troubadour
As a uni student of architecture I can chime in a bit. There are many things that affect the style and materials of local architecture.

Style is usually directly bound to the financial state of owners. There are reasons antique, renaissance and baroque (just a few examples) styled architecture isn't built today--money. While history shows us these beautiful structures were feats, achievements, and sometimes crown jewels of leaders and nations, they are never built today. At least in the west. We're a more enlightened type of lower class scrub who would have an easier time organizing rebellions if unsubstaniated and disproportionate amounts of money were used in the name of vanity.

Materials are typically decided based on availablity (in turn based on wealth, manpower/workforce, and location), but they are also inescapably decided based on climate. There are good reason as to why people close to the equator, and in sand deserts and dry land, choose to build with stone/clay when possible. Stone is excellent at absorbing heat, and consequently let it dissipate at a slow pace. This means that house built of stone absorb heat during the day, and release that stored heat during the night. During the day, the stone's cooled off from the night and it begins storing heat again for the following night. The cycle's mostly used in equatorial regions since that's where the day/night cycle is best adjusted for this.

In warmer places you'd utilize wood/straw alot more, for less storage of heat and more shade to keep things cool for the nights. In colder places, hm. Why anyone would want to live in cold places I'll never understand, he said while still living in Sweden. But you'd utilize whatever usable while making sure windows and other openings remain as small and airtight as possible.

It's not rocket science in the end though, as this is as deep as you'd have to go with it. Also, remember one thing more than anything. No city or country is a utopia. There can be no wealth without poverty. For spectacular buildings to exists, slum quarters must balance the scales. Every Lincoln memorial needs 3 trailers parks in the outskirts of the town etc, and this balance can be found by weighing the power, content and influence of the common people compared to the ruling elite. Ramble complete.