• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The races of the Nine Realms: the Fortia

the fortia live on the plane of fire in giant cities made of gold, bronze, and copper, all floating above a massive ocean of lava. the fortia are similar to djinn, or efreet. they are gaseous beings with a solid upper body, can float, but not totally fly, and are resistant to fire. they are a race of warriors that can master any weapon you give them if you give them a couple of days of intense training. at birth they are taken to a training facility, where the type of weapon they will specialize in is determined, then they must make their own weapon. the fortia are responsible for many of the new weapon types that have come about in the last 100 years, including most of the designs for the powder rod (basically a gun).

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
They sound terrifying!

I am curious to know how large a Fortia is. So far I imagine them as huge size since you said that their cities are giant, but maybe you mean that the cities are very vast but with buildings of normal size. What is the temperature in that lava realm where they live? How do they travel to other realms?

Are they feared by other species and races in your world?

Queshire

Auror
I'd like to hear more about their art and culture. How they get food or other necessities. Way I figure it, a little bit of thought to them outside of their specialties can add a lot of depth to a race.

elemtilas

Inkling
the fortia ... at birth they are taken to a training facility, where the type of weapon they will specialize in is determined, then they must make their own weapon.

I'm guessing they must pretty much be born much more mature than a human! That could be terrifying indeed! Dunno what their birth rate is like, but it seems like they could replenish an army within a month or so where humans might require decades to recover.

So, the cities of gold and bronze and copper floating above oceans of lava...tell us more about their history and culture!

They sound terrifying!

I am curious to know how large a Fortia is. So far I imagine them as huge size since you said that their cities are giant, but maybe you mean that the cities are very vast but with buildings of normal size. What is the temperature in that lava realm where they live? How do they travel to other realms?

Are they feared by other species and races in your world?

the way i have thought about it is that they are about human sized, the cities are vast with normal sized buildings. the lava realm is the plane of fire, sooooooo, yeah. they are feared, yes, but not because they are conquerors. they actually are content to be hired out as mercenaries.

I'd like to hear more about their art and culture. How they get food or other necessities. Way I figure it, a little bit of thought to them outside of their specialties can add a lot of depth to a race.

like i said above, they are mostly mercenaries. they care little for art and other types of culture. what use does music have on the battlefield? however, i am planning on having a fortia that you meet be the exception to this. i'll just say this: war banjo.

I'm guessing they must pretty much be born much more mature than a human! That could be terrifying indeed! Dunno what their birth rate is like, but it seems like they could replenish an army within a month or so where humans might require decades to recover.

So, the cities of gold and bronze and copper floating above oceans of lava...tell us more about their history and culture!

honestly i think it would be easier for the young ones to be handled and trained if they came into the world young, but matured much faster than humans. the floating cities are kept aloft by a rare brand of fire magic that only works in the plane of fire. i haven't really thought of much more than that, but i will keep you posted