Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Easter Eggs/Guilty Pleasures

Quote Originally Posted by plasticroyal View Post
    Does he find out who crafted the shield?
    He does.
    Spoiler for MORE SPOILER ABOUT THE SAME SPOILER:
    In the last book he learns about the history of the shield and how the charm got laid on it, and it explains why every member of his family who bore it has lived through every single battle, for generations.

My one WIP has a Balrog, but after much searching it might be easier to switch to something less copyrighted. I put references all over my work to pop culture from the 80's to now. Most mean something to me or my character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member TheCrystallineEntity's Avatar
    Portfolio Entries
    ^You could have a Balfrog, as a reference to Cave Story, though that might be copyrighted, too.

4. Thanks Malik thanked for this post
    Portfolio Entries
    A name, like "Balrog," can't be protected by copyright. It is possible for there to be trademark protection in the name, and there are a couple of trademark registrations for the name for toy action figures, figurines, and the like, but a general appearance of a Balrog in a story isn't likely to implicate trademark concerns.

The Balrog, as an overall character, could potentially have some copyright protection associated with it, but that would only apply to the extent you're lifting the entire Balrog from Tolkien's work rather than simply using the name for a different sort of monster.
    All cat stories start with this statement: "My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...

I am not sure that some of the Easter eggs people are discussing above really count as Easter eggs, cause I think they have to be more than just known to the author to apply. I wonder if these might fall into the category of little darlings.

If the author is bringing into their stories things that are meaningful to themselves, while there might be a guilty pleasure felt at bringing them in, I have to question if they are really different than the normal creative process. Ideas have to spring from somewhere.

Generally, I don't like Easter eggs in stuff, cause when I recognize them, they take me out of the immersion experience, and I wish sometimes more self control was employed. But, that is probably just me. Seems many people like them (and, honestly, I have liked a few I have seen.)
    Last edited by pmmg; 5-19-17 at 8:32 PM.

The Balrog is a difficult one. I am pretty sure that it is a creature made up by Mr. Tolkien and not a borrowed creature from a different mythical or fantastic source. It is, though, essentially a demon and demon's of a similar appearance would not seem a stretch to envision. For myself, I would not use a Balrog. But as I have seen elsewhere on the board, if you are writing you are making up things that are Balrog's why call them something else. Its a tricky question. Sometimes, I think, you do have to make the effort and find a different name for things.

Dunno if it counts as an easter egg, per say, but in my last book, an urban fantasy, I have a PoV character (a police detective and a casual gamer) bitten by what he thinks is a werewolf. He then spends the full moon tied to his defunct radiator, playing Skyrim on his Xbox (my head-cannon has him avoiding the Companions quest-line, for obvious reasons). Though he finds out later there's no such thing as werewolves, there are draugar, 'cept they look (to him at least) pretty much human, not like Skyrim's blue-eyed zombies. Not sure if I'm going to include it in book two (if I ever write book two), but I've had fun playing with the idea that he calls the four-hundred-year-old draugr assassin a norse mummy, which only serves to mildly annoys the assassin, since he doesn't get the reference. At this point, I almost feel I have to lampshade it, at least a little, since most of those who're familiar with draugar only know the Skyrim interpretation.

I have one short story that's just a walking, talking collection of references and nods to every sci-fi TV show I could think of, though most are really obscure (like, you'd have to have seen that one Star Trek: The Next Generation episode to get the reference of a character named "Gloria, from Cleveland"). I don't usually have easter eggs that reference other stuff I've written, though as a reader, I find it fun when a writer does include nods to their own work. It makes their stories easily re-readable, since every time I read, I find a new reference and I feel this little spurt of triumph at finding a new one. Like, "Hah! I got that! I totally got that!"

Quote Originally Posted by plasticroyal View Post
    And thank you Aurora, any posts on here about your world yet?
    Just saw this. No easter eggs in my world, sorry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12