• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Marking the passage of time

SMAndy85

Minstrel
Hi All,
Apologies if this shows up twice in some form. I posted it once before, but it didn't appear to work, and someone suggested I try again. Due to the length, there's no way it'll show up exactly the same.

I'm creating a world for both writing and gaming. It's a planet, tide locked around a red dwarf star, so to get habitable temperatures, it's quite close. It has a moon that for convenience, circles the planet in 24 hours, as observed by the population. That gives a work/sleep cycle for them.

The only problem here is that being tide-locked, the sun barely moves in the sky. That means marking the passage of time in greater lengths than "the working day" is hard. Stars would likely only be visible on the dark side, so being able to see a particular star cluster wouldn't be enough, unless they were close enough to be seen during the day. Given the lack of blue light from a red dwarf star, I could accept that rayleigh scattering wouldn't happen as much, so you could see some stars during the day. Would that work for you if you were reading such a story? Please, discuss!

SMAndy85

Minstrel
Hi Moderators - please delete this thread! As stated, the message about moderator approval didn't show up for long enough to read first time, so I didn't know it hadn't worked. Now, although it says I can edit my post, I can't see any edit buttons to delete it!