• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Somewhat political question for my current WIP

snabjorn

Dreamer
Hi there,

I have a question for a new thing I am working on..

Let's say that there are 5 'countries', each with people that have developed DNA, which gives them some supernatural powers. This development of DNA makes the non-developed people/countries fear them of course, so they have contained them, and regained power that way. They are not able to leave their 'countries', they don't have all the advanced technology and they are not allowed to procreate etc. (New people are still created from their DNA though, but that's a different part of the story). Other than that they get to live a 'normal' life with work, school, friends, parties etc.

Each country needs a leader though, to maintain the idea of them being somewhat in control of their own country, and also because the non-developed people want's to manipulate the 'countries' by somehow getting their words out through propaganda or something, only to the leaders of each country, and then rely on them to get the word out to each of their countries. If that makes any sense?

Anyway, my question is -
Would the people that are really in charge, choose the leaders for each country themselves every time a new one is needed, so they have full control?
Or would they maybe just choose the first leader (back in the day) and then let the family take over, as in royal families?
Or, would they let the people from each 'country' decide on their own, to give them some sort of idea that they have a say and make it a democracy that way?

I apologize if this seems too confusing - it does to me, now that I am trying to explain it to others. Also, it is nowhere near being ready yet either, so, I'm still just working with my thoughts and ideas.

However, I hope you get where I'm going and that you can help me by saying what you think would be most realistic in a situation like this :eek::confused:

Russ

Istar
Call me cynical. If I was one of the people really in charge I would choose the leaders for each country myself, but let the people of each country believe that they were making the decision while I was really doing it for them.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I'd guess something similar to an Iranian sort of deal. Yes, there is an election! But candidates are approved or even hand selected by the true leadership, and no way a wild card candidate wins.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I am not sure it really matters as the figurehead, superhero leaders, seem like puppets anyway.

I think the question to me butts up against the concept that leaders can be controlled and contained. Leaders kind of just emerge at times, and all the powers that be don't seem to be able to stop that. And I suspect, at some point in time, a real leader would emerge, and this whole system would come crashing down.

Also.... it seems to me that the real powers here are the powers that are behind the throne. And I suspect it is there you will find the real political intrigue.

But, I suspect A would be true unless there is some other pressing reason to do something different. If I want to control the leader, I would be keen to be the one to pick him.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
What matters is how it holds up in a story, so I'd just pick a scenario and not worry about it at this point. Flesh the thing out more. Start putting real people in real situations into it.

It doesn't matter if the concept is flawed. Often the most interesting story ideas can be found in the flaws.

I'd guess something similar to an Iranian sort of deal. Yes, there is an election! But candidates are approved or even hand selected by the true leadership, and no way a wild card candidate wins.

I agree. The only thing better than having autocratic control over a country is having autocratic control and a society the believes they have their own democratic power. This greatly reduces your risk of an uprising or coup against your government because the masses already believe they are free, so why on Earth would they bother to fight for their freedom? The few astute citizens who dare to stir up a fuss about their oppression will be denounced by the masses as kooks and conspiracy theorists and won't be able to amass any viable challenge to the status quo.

So, assuming your "ultimate powers" are shrewd people, I would lean towards an "elected leader" model, where the system is rigged so that no election result can possibly disrupt the agenda of the powers that be. Assuming everything goes to plan, of course...

Hi,

I'm confused by your scenario. Just what sort of power does the rest of the world have over these five countries? Because what you're suggesting sounds like absolute control. Far beyond any controlI've ever heard of. I mean if you can regulate the people of another country so tightly that they can't have kids, what can't you do to them? So why worry about their leadership at all? They're all basically slaves or prisoners.

Cheers, Greg.