• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Can't make out how to make a map for this world + what the world is about.

Viorp

Minstrel
I've already played around with making fantasy maps and even though they were basic I never had many problems with them.

But latelly I came up with an idea which made me unable to make a map. And it is hard to worldbuild if you can't visualize the stuff.

I usually did flat maps and never experimented with the polar regions.
This time I did and failed miserably.

The idea for the world is still very basic it evolved from an alternate history idea "what if the inuit had mommoths"

But from there it chnaged so much I decided to make it an alternate/ fantasy world in it's own right.

For now the world has only 7 regions, but more will be added later. (temporary names)
1. Europe-Substitute (ES)
2. Cold India (CI)
3. Maori Islands (MI)
4. Middle East Substitute (MES)
5. Midland Stepps (MS)
6. New World (NW)
7. Trading Cities (TC)

1. Is a region which is culturarly very much like europe around the 17th-18th century. For now they are historically and culturally equivalent to Europe.

3. Islands which were originally inhabited by a peoples group exactly like the Maori. Now they jave chnaged a lot due to CI and MES influence and more recently ES influence too.

4. Nothing known except that in the past the ES had crusades aginst them. I'd like to make them distinct from the middle east of the 18th century though.

5. Steppe Hordes which remain after the Great Horde fell apart. They are technologically behind the ES and TC and thus most of the hordes are puppet states. They are known for renting out their superb cavalry as mercenaries.

6. Same role as america had for Europe it had for ES. It is located between ES and MI. Culturarly a mix of africa and native american cultures.

7. Culturarly the are somewhat like ancient Greece mixed with Venice. Meanwhile they look like ancient Thailand or Laos. Their culture is centered around trade. While not advanced in terms of technology they are the richest group of people. They are the only place in the world where democracy is a thing.

4. I left it at the end because it is the root of the idea and the most devlopped region. The people living here look exactly the same as the people of ES. The region is united under one somewhat theocratic nation. The subcontinent borders ES in the southeast (westerh hemisphere) trough a massive mountainrange which is basically untraversable. Meanwhile in the the south they are seperated by a very rowdy sea which is so dangerous that ships can't really pass trough. It is full of wirlwinds and has constant storms.

The relligion of CL is pagan they have many different dieties, but the main two are
a) The Mammoth God of war, trade and civilisation
b) The Fire/Vulcano God of farming, hot baths and destruction/natural disasters.

There are many more Gods which are given different value accoriding to the region. Like gods responssible for fishing or hunting or caves.

The subcontinent has itself many regions.

A) South-West Coastline

One of two only parts of the region in which the temperature ever rises above 0C. Thus there exist massive massive farms. The region was a lot of times in recent history invaded by the people of ES which while succesful in the summer were always pushed out in the winter. The region is one of the more denslly poppulated ones. Their main source of food is fishing especially whale-hunting which has big cultural importance.

B) The Holy River

The holy river is an unusual sight it is a very long river which goes on for 500km. It is unique because most boiling rivers or hot sources of water are poisoned with sulphur and can't be used for farming.
The Holy river originated from the Holy Lake which is boiling at 300C. The holy river flows in a very rowdy way and is very wide. When it reaches the Sea at the South-West Coastline the water is only lukewarm. Due to how hot the water is it needs to be branched out a lot, to coll down enough to be used for farming. It offers a massive agricultural output even though it starts at the poles. It is the most densly poppulated region.

C) The North-West Coastline

That's the area north of the South-West Coastline. This are has no farms and is less poppulated. They specialize in hunting whales. The region has a few bigger cities which were built around iron and salt mines.

D) The Western Icy Desert

It is one of the least poppulated regions. The area is mostly flat and the temperatures range from -20C to -70C torughout the year. The area is very flat except the massive vulcanos which pop out of the ground every now and then. The most active vulcanos have cities around them. No village could surive as there is no way to farm or hunt there.

Instead the most active vulcanos errupt every 10-20 years. Leaving behind a lot of vulcanic dust. Which is great fertiliser, source of cement or sulphur. Thus this region is in a lot of ways like the wild west. The cities sustain themselves from trade. Women and children usually are responssible for collecting and processing the dust while the men take their Mammoths and Arctic Donkeys to travel and sell those goods around the subcontinent.

There are also a few cities wihich are just built around mines of gold or something there. The houses are like massive flats which house 500-2000 people. They are made out of very solid rock and to survive constant Pompei level vulcanic explosions.

E) The Holy Lake

A very weird Lake. Located on top a massive suparvulcano, much larger than Yellowstone. About the size of lake Victoria in Africa. The water there is boiling at about 300C which gives the place the nickname of Mist Lake. The Holy City (Capital) is located at the waterfall which starts the Holy River. The Lake itself has many smaller Vulcanos popping out of it. They are always covered in snow and very tall. Most of the water in the lake comes from the constant avelanches from those mountains. At the top of every mountain there is a temple dedicated to praising the Vulcano God. There are about 700 of those mountains. (the number might change)

F) The Great Cave

A weird place nearly wt the very Pole. All you can see there is an endless desert of ice. Except one massive city. It is the part of the world which is the furthest to the north. The source of food the people have there is very weird. Underneeds the city there is a massive cave. Which goes so deep that it somehow connects to the deep ocean. The people who stumbled uppon it noticed that there are a lot of weird fish in those waters. The water is lukewarm. But when you go as deep as the water or into the water you get sick. So you need to go down gradually over weeks and it takes months before you can freely swim and hunt in that water. (high pressure very deep)

People who hunt in that water are considered heroes because of how dangerous it is. But it is very rewarding because you can find not only meat but sometimes very valuable materials when diving there.

The city also sustains itself from trade which can only go on during summer, because not even Mammoths can survive the cold in winter. It is the only viable connection between the Eastern and Western Icy Deserts and any other road would be to long to travel.

G) The Eastern Ice Desert

There are not that many vulcanos there so less goes one than in the Western Icy Desert. But the region is more like rocky icelands which are cold and very windy. It's to windy for glaciers to form. But because those are highlands with mountains and stuff many nesting bird species come in the summer to raise their young and later return to the Southern continents.

The people living there are traditional nomadic people. They use thick fur tents when traveling and follow the birds and hunt them. They are known for their endurance and tracking ability.

There are no merchants among them perse. But the tribes travel constantly trading with each other and even visiting the Great Cave from time to time.

E) The North-East Coastline

A poorer verssion of the North-West Coastline. Except that they are basically the same, except that many of them live in igloos. Of which some are massive and an over 100 years old.

F) The South-East Coastline

It's the potentially warmest region of the subcontinent. The tip is as warm as Northern Denmark. People there are farmers. They are also the only people of the Subcontinent which build big ships and engage in naval trade with the MI. This region is somewhat rich and seperated from the rest. They have leanings and interest in ES culture and relligion. They enage some modern science and even established collonies in the MI.

They are considered weird and thus disliked by the rest of the continent. Most also refuse to engage in canibalism.

G) The South-West Eastern Mountainchain

It's the massive moountainchain at the border with the ES.

Part of it and some surrounding areas were conquered by "ES" knights during something like a crussade.
A kingdom was established. The ES was beaten back, but not by the Pagans of the region.

A kind of new rellgion formed. Something like Sikhism from Islam and Hinduism.

The relligion is based on the code of the knights and is dualistic like Zoroastrianism. They believe there is a good God of Order and an Evil God of Chaos. That region is their holy land, and they specilize in mountain combat. As the only people on the subcontinent. They are fierce honorable fighters, though some claim they are looking for a fight.

-----------------------------
Sorry for making this so long. The original question is how I can make a map of this very... very confusing subcontinent. I'm really very angry at my unability to do so.

TheKillerBs

Maester
I did something similar for my world-conqueror's setting. So what I did was put the names of the cultural zones on a blank sheet of paper such that they could work as labels on the finished map. Then I drew a crude blob to suggest the continent shape, using the positions of the label as guides, although I wasn't married to them and changed them on more than one occasion. Then I drew in geographic features I wanted and redrew the map as needed until I came up with something that made sense and looked good. I just kept trying until something worked.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I'd start with a pad of paper and, pencil and an eraser [as calling it a rubber, tends to make some people giggle....]
Draw it out in rough, as TKBs says, blobs at first.
then look at it, work out what is wrong and have another go.
It might take 3-4 iterations but the whole thing should start to make sense.
Once you have the general layout sorted out, you can start to add in detail.

Viorp

Minstrel
Some general cultural information:

- the people there are rather xenophobic
- singing is a very important part of relligion and culture
- art is mostly based on geometrical shapes when it comes to everyday items which are often decorated meanwhile more estemed art is usually based on their mythology. They usually don't do coloful paintings but sculptures and carvings.
- there are no forrests on the subcontinent. A tree is something which only a noble might own as a weird fancy thingy.
- buildings neer the coastline are made out of mostly whale-bone,stone,animal skins and cement for larger structures. Meanwhile inland basically only stone, furs and cement are used.
- everybody in the country can build an igloo
- women are basically equal in society, they can even be mammothriders in the army. Theough in rellgion men and women have different seperated roles.
- tattoos are poppular. They are mostly geometrical. People of the church might have tattoos which carry rellgious signifficance
- cannibalism is practiced by everyone except at the South-East Coastline and by the Kinght-Sikh-Like-People (KSLP for now...) It is very ritualised, and is remenant from the past before taming the Mammoth when food was so scarce that wasting anything would be suicide for your tribe
- the subcontinent was once divided and had a lot of fighting going on. After unification the regions started helping each other and this cooperation lead to an economic and poppulation boom.
- the South-East Coastline is disliked by the other people of the continent not only because they lack trditionalism, but also because they are the only people who practice slavery which while not illegal is considered immoral. (pre-unification captured prisoners were slaves so after the unification slavery was associated with internal divission)
- the KSLP faith is one of the most commonly practiced relligions in MI, though there most commoners practice it differently
- the KSLP exist in every region and act as somewhat of an independant policeforce which helps the poor and hunts down bandits and criminals. They also have many castle-temples in the ES
- everybody loves saunas there.
- skelletons of dead family members are sometimes kept in family mausoleums for for richer people at home. They are decorated and thay pray to them for good luck.
- the reason ES invassions keep failing is because it's to cold to use guns properly and that a normal gun is unable to kill a fully armed war-mammoth.
- nobody drinks alcochol in CI because they have no idea how to make it and from what
- their food if weird. They eat a lot of fermented meat and plants as well as some of the meat being served raw. (raw meat has vitamins which are hard to get in cold climates)
A lot of people would think their quisine is disgusting.
- most of CI people have never even seen grass or rain falling instead of snow
- because the holy river is so wide and hot with mist over it you can't see the other side when standing on one. The current is also so fast that no boat could ever swim on the river
- they know how to make gunpowder and use it in mining
- a lot of people have Arctic Donkeys, but horses are not poppular because they die to much, dogs are a poppular pet.
- everybody hates Polar Bears and hunting one alone maes you a hero.

Viorp

Minstrel
Yea, but my problem is mainly the very weird stretching that happens near the poles, which confuses me on how to make it.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
There is G.Projector — Global Map Projector from NASA
You can input your own image and then map it on to [150?] different projections.
I've had hours of fun [I mean "research"] seeing what maps of my worlds really look like.
Or there is polar graph-paper.
It might be a bit fiddly to get right but you could use that to map your polar regions and then plain paper for the rest of the globe [faking a Mercator or Peters, etc projection]. I don't think I'd have the time or patience to get everything exactly right but it should be fairly quick to get close [enough].

Viorp

Minstrel
I'll defifnetly try the NASA thingy. Looks fun.
If I suplement it with a small map of each region it should work out great.

DeathtoTrite

Troubadour
I cheated a bit polar regions by putting a vast, northern continent that's badly defined and, with a few exceptions, sparsely inhabited. Your thought process reminds me a lot of how I made the two main continents. Draw blobs, think about how trade routes would arise from that geography, then adjust accordingly.