• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What would life be like on the moon of a Jovian planet?

Chekaman

Scribe
What do you think having a large Jovian planet hanging in the sky would do for religion on the planet? And how to have the moon close enough to the planet for the Jovian planet to be larger in the sky then our real-life moon without frying the moon with radiation? A strong moon-based magnetic field perhaps?

SMAndy85

Minstrel
I wonder, do you mean one of Jupiter's moons, or do you just mean a gas giant? I'm going to assume the former, since you've said "Jovian", and that means "of Jupiter". If not, please be clearer about your meaning!

As far as my knowledge goes, planetary radiation, even for a gas giant, is fairly small. In order for there to be life on a moon, it would need a magnetic field to protect them from stellar radiation. If it could do that, it could handle the planetary radiation too.

Things you need to remember: There would be reflected light from the planet during the day, so while that would be lower level light than the sun would give, it would still mean that for the entire time the moon was between planet and star, there would be some level of light across the whole moon.

As for religion? Well, I daresay the big red spot would feature prominently in any religion that popped up. Perhaps seen as an eye of the gods, watching over them, or a bad omen, and sign that the gods are watching, so bad things will happen if they don't do something.

Also, Jupiter has many other moons, so they would likely feature. Some of the moons are fairly large, so they could be visible from each other, possibly even during the day, like the moon here is. I don't think you'd see anything like an eclipse though, as all of the moons are on their own orbit.

Also, religion depends on whether life evolved there to begin with, or if they are humans that have travelled from Earth. If the former, there would likely be heavy celestial-body religion. If the latter, they would already know about the other moons and the red spot, so they'd likely stick with any Earth-based religions.

I can't remember for sure without looking it up, but I'm pretty sure there are already Jovian moons with some volcanic activity, and that suggests magnetic fields of some level, enough to hold an atmosphere, even.