Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tell me about your non-Medieval Europe based settings.

Portfolio Entries
    Also, far too much of what is assumed to be medieval is specifically English medieval. There were many other cultures, all quite different from England.

Game of Thrones has only added to this tendency.

I've been setting my stories specifically elsewhere. One is in southern Germany and Switzerland. One is in Dacia and Thrace (Constantinople). One is on an island off the coast of Brittany. My current WIP is in southern France. Another in the Harz Mountains.

There's just so much more to the Middle Ages than boring old England.
    Skip's Writing Tip of the Day: write.
    Visit Altearth or visit my blog
    Historical Background for Fantasy Writers

Senior Member Michael K. Eidson's Avatar
    The setting for my WIP is a portal world that was once tribal in nature to the extreme. Humans from Earth came through the portal and decided the world needed them to govern it. The result has similarities to medieval Europe, but there are tons of differences too.
    "The truth doesn't matter. The alternative is often better."

https://www.mkeidson.com/

Portfolio Entries
    Mine is based on the late Roman Empire and the conquest of Germanic and Celtic territory. It also incorporates a Northeastern American geographical setting and North African/Saharan cultural influences for the empire. I'm enjoying writing it!
    Somnio ergo sum.

Portfolio Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by psychotick View Post
    Hi,

Just as an aside you might want to look into the history of Breitspurbahn - Hitler's proposed broad gauge railway. In his case it was proposed to be three metres wide and the trains that ran on it something more like land based ocean liners.

Cheers, Greg.

Too bad none of that ever got built. It would be interesting to see how well an extra-broad gauge railway would run.

UK broad gauge was just a tadge over 7'. In the Eastlands of The World, the principle railway lines are on an 8' (oliphant) gauge, while trolleys and short industrial lines are narrow gauge at 4' (imperial) gauge. No steam, though. Either ox- or horse-drawn or else motivated by golems.

Quote Originally Posted by elemtilas View Post
    Too bad none of that ever got built. It would be interesting to see how well an extra-broad gauge railway would run.

UK broad gauge was just a tadge over 7'. In the Eastlands of The World, the principle railway lines are on an 8' (oliphant) gauge, while trolleys and short industrial lines are narrow gauge at 4' (imperial) gauge. No steam, though. Either ox- or horse-drawn or else motivated by golems.
    Maybe it's better that none of that got built, since, you know, they're Nazis.

Portfolio Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodyHellSausage View Post
    Maybe it's better that none of that got built, since, you know, they're Nazis.
    *shrugs*

Hitler built about 3000km of autobahn highways as well. Guess that shouldn't have been built either, since, you know, they're Nazis. Or no, maybe Germany should just tear up all the autobahn system and return to one lane dirt roads?

Let's just invoke Godwin and leave this aspect of the discussion be!

7. Thanks Michael K. Eidson thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by elemtilas View Post
    *shrugs*

Hitler built about 3000km of autobahn highways as well. Guess that shouldn't have been built either, since, you know, they're Nazis. Or no, maybe Germany should just tear up all the autobahn system and return to one lane dirt roads?

Let's just invoke Godwin and leave this aspect of the discussion be!
    No point in tearing down autobahn highways if they do no harm, but I was just saying the less the Nazis rule the better.

You're right, let's leave this aspect be.

Portfolio Entries
    I've always liked the notion of a magical train with a wizard engineer. It requires no tracks because the wizard lays the tracks as they go and pulls them up as the train leaves. Right of way would still be an issue, but you could make the gauge flexible, depending on what sort of "car" was being transported.
    Skip's Writing Tip of the Day: write.
    Visit Altearth or visit my blog
    Historical Background for Fantasy Writers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123