• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Yo! Marines!

This actually occurred to me on a reread of my story. If only because a fight breaking out between the marines and the protagonists. Partially a military division and something to do with the main plot line. Anyways, does your world have marines of some sort naval military part and of their own rivalries with the other militaries? Within their own ranks or with the likes of pirates or others of the less law abiding?

Eld's main marines are sea elves and trolls, though as with any ships that sail the high sea's, it's a thin line between enforcement and piracy, something not helped by the fact that both the elves and trolls are currently ruled over by pirates supposedly gone straight. There are a fair few human marines among them. And they act a bit like the modern marines, having land, sea and air operations. It's a lot easier when one can use sea serpents, kraken's dragons and large crustaceans to mount operations. They also field Bayou elves in swamp operations and sirens as psychological warfare. Payment is in people they can eat.

The troll marines field giant Gamera like creatures along with other sea going reptiles and dinosaurs. This has made them exceptionally good at mounting attacks against cities with walls. If only the sheer size of the beasts and breath that can melt stone. They also have use of the mercenary siren's and the use of the same creatures (except krakens) that the elves do. More prone to using sharks, rather then the squids the elves do. Much like the Bayou elves, the swamp trolls also find use in the marines as their more land going divisions.

And they all have something of a rivalry with their land and air force operations equivalents, the current brag being they took the least losses during the Lich Wars and even going so far as to mock the other forces over the hits they took. Their biggest rivalry is with the scouts, which get's fairly violent whenever the two groups meet on the streets of any of the port cities. This is mainly an elf thing, if only because the wood elves and sea elves have had more then a few wars which gives them a bit of a past when it comes to the current military divisions. And, this has been my, rather large bit on this.

What's yours? If you have one.