• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How is murder and r--e punished for in your world?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I expect both would elicit something violent. Life/health/freedom threatening if such was brought before a court or local authority.

In the nation it's largely set, trial by combat in the case of murder. Rape is punished by castration if it can be proven in court, but more often than not, the rival family will simply murder the attacker in duel before. Most leaders don't mind their men taking some turns with subjugated rivals. Marital rape doesn't exist in concept. While some female leaders take issue with this, they are often too few to make a real stance.

Viorp

Minstrel
My settings are usually in the past so like in modernday law such thing as woman on man rape does not exist.
Any cases of rape are only even persecuted when it comes to high nobility, usually it's just assumed that it's the womans fault.
Though it's customary to do vigelanty justice by boiling or crushing the rapists genitals in some regions.
In more southern regions the man is often forced to marry the woman he raped.

When it comes to nobility it depends on status. Only a higher positioned woman has ever any chance of winning in court and even if she does she is an "undesireble" so basically she is unable to marry anymore anyway.

Raping your wife is not considered a thing same as woman on man rape. Man on man rape is considered homosexuality, thus depending on the region might be completelly ignored or end with death for both involved.

Raping your slaves and during war is considered normal though some nobles frown uppon this practice.

Murder like murder. Punished by death, though if you kill a peasant as a noble nobody cares because you are the enforcer of law in your fief.

Horus

Scribe
Depends on where you do it. In a small town, you might be hanged for both. In one city, rape isn't a crime itself, but then again, neither is murder. One often follows the other, but there isn't any city official that will preside over it. In another city, you might be "re-educated" for both, a magical process that will leave you a whimsical puppet indentured to the offended party for years, or even life. The process is reversible, but that's IF you live to see the end of your sentence. In one Empire, murder is punishable by forced military service.

Rape in war is a gray area. Knights and Noblesse view it as against a code of decency, with various degrees of punishment ranging from being quartered by horses / forfeiture of titles (if the victim is a noble) to public humiliation / atonement payments (if the victim was not). The Seekers permit the rape of any human found convicted of lying with a non-human, but rape a non-human is seen as a perversion to weeded out (usually by castration, chemical lobotomy, or execution). Whichever the offender finds most preferential. All professional armies that signed the Wyvern Tooth Treaty are forbidden from rape of any civilians, regardless of circumstance, punishable by beheading for offenders, and demotion for the immediate superior, if negligence is proven.

Marital rape is not a thing, in the eyes of most, and I had honestly never thought to even address how this might work. Also murder of ones own children is a similar gray area in most places, at least if killed before the age of 13.

Chekaman

Scribe
Murder in Vallermoore is punished by hanging. In the lands of the De Madden Company murderers hang at the yardarm. In the Kraken States, they are fed to the Kraken in charge.
Rape has two degrees, first degree which is a death sentence, or second degree that can be punished by imprisonment, slavery or whipping and a fine.

Vvashjr

Minstrel
In my city setting, murder and rape is punished via execution, thus far being beheaded. And my laws are fairly harsh. Those who helped to cover up an incident that resulted in the deaths of 40 people from a serial killer were similarly beheaded.

Daccari Buchelli

In my world, there is a council of elders that will convene if any such crime is committed. Between eight members, they will list several punishments they deem as appropriate in response to the act committed and take a vote on which one is carried out. :)

SithLord

Dreamer
With different cultures come different laws and rules. While in my WIP, the protagonist's society generally frowns upon murder and if caught, the punishment fits the crime dependent upon the victim / suspect relationship within the society. For a noble to murder a servant or random person, generally the laws take the side of "self defense" and the lesser person in the society is always the guilty party. Same for rape should the rape be committed by someone of lower stature than their victim. however, the court system of the local magistrate would hear the parties and rule in accordance no matter the societal make up of the accused. Generally those of higher class have a higher percentage of being exonerated or deemed a "victim" of the crime of the other. The law is applied fairly against those of equal worth in society.

In my antagonist empire, there is no "law" per se against murder or rape as long as the committer sees their actions justified in the eyes of their prime deity in accordance to the laws of their religious society. Those of the higher castes have every right to act against those beneath them within the justification that their duty is to the will of their primary god and that they are performing any and all actions to the improvement of their race.