• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Species name

Can anyone help me with the name for a vaguely reptilian/amphibian undersea race of malevolent intent. One of the characters keeps referring to them in her backstory and with every mention the inadequacy of the name they have been given becomes more apparent.

They can't be called naiads because that's already taken.

TWErvin2

Auror
Are you looking for a 'formal' name or a slang or common name that, say, those who don't care for the undersea creatures name them?

For something only semi original, you could call them sea trogs. They may have another name, they may name themselves differently.

For example, in my works, goblins are also known as lesser imps. Ogres as heathen brutes, imortal bloods as greater elves, etc.

What they name themselves might be influenced on their mouth structure. Could have a lot of K's and S's or G's, B's and P's in the name depending on lip, tooth and tongue structure.

Queshire

Istar
Yeah, there's a big difference between what they call themselves, what others call them to their face, and what others call them to their backs.

One slang-y name for such a race might be something like Glubbins or even Frogs.

Konstanz

Minstrel
When I think of lizards I immediately think of several vowels that would go well with them. Mainly k's, l's, x's, z's and r's. I don't know why, but they sound like the sort of sounds those creatures would be able to make and the main sounds their language would be based off. Also, a lot of names on -ex or -saur(us) come to mind.

As for a slang name, I would name them something like fishmen or waterfolk.