• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

New Universe Creation

Robert Donnell

Minstrel
Culture shock, When I arrived in Germany in 1980 there were some things that were very familiar to me but other things were odd to my eyes. One of those were the little gardens all over the cities, maybe 20 feet by 50 feet with a little shed on one end. As for why such things existed in large numbers, that may be a remnant of vegetable gardens equivalent of USA Victory Gardens. Twice in the 1900s the German population was reduced to starvation. Having a source of fresh veggies could mean the difference between life and death.

This is just one example of many cultural differences that really can shock a newcomer. No seeing vegetable gardens was not a shock, the numbers and the reasons for them was.

Attitudes can be shocking too.

So your character enters a new city, or country town and sees something really odd, he asks about it and gets a little snap shot on the place, history, people and culture.

Alex97

Troubadour
Having a character seeing something unfamilliar in a new city/country and describing their confusuion is quite a good way of writing about a new place/culture in your story as opposed to a load of info dumping.

Robert Donnell

Minstrel
Sorry, it is about how to introduce a new place without a "Data Dump."

I should have made it clearer.

For example I read very memorable book and it started out with a description of another culture's plumbing (there wasn't any) and the protagonist says "What have I gotten myself into?" as an introduction to that universe.

icewindel

Dreamer
Character confusion at all of the sights, smells, and sounds is an excellent way to introduce new surroundings. Also, I sometimes have my characters interacting with another character as well as their surroundings. I find that way to be a bit of a challenge, but, for me, it ends up reading better.
The thing to be weary of is said "Data Dump", which can occur in any sort of situation, unless you just don't describe certain aspects of the setting, leaving it to the reader's imagination. (<-- better for reader and writer) Ever tried imaging a super well described scene exactly as it was written, then tried to add in the character action and dialogue? No bueno. It's very difficult to the average reader. Some of the best, faster paced books that I have ever read had spartan descriptions of the settings and it was marvelous.

Anyway, good luck with your writing!