• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Religion and Rank

Geldor

Scribe
The religion in question is the Grand Clergy, an order dedicated to the idea of a female God known as Elena (pronounced El-ey-na). So far I have divided the Grand Clergy into these ranks:
1. The Grand Cleric
2. The High Cleric
3. The Sword Cleric
4. The Cleric
5. The Acolyte

*note: The Sword Cleric is like that of a Templar hunting down those that are (in the Grand Clergy's eyes) pagans, mainly the wielders of the Breath (a type of magic that involves taking the life from other beings to have enough power to cast spells).

Roc

Troubadour
I like what you have there, but are you sure there are enough ranks? I'm not sure how many ranks there are in the Catholic church but there are more than five. Maybe you could spice it up by adding more ranks and thus depth.

Also, what exactly is your question? Were you just wanting to vent the idea?

Sparkie

Auror
It seems a lot like Dragon Age. As it's used in the original entry (Origins), The Chantry is an allegory for Catholicism (or Christianity in general, I can't determine exactly which) in the Middle Ages. Ranks do exist in different religions around the world, but those ranks vary in importance depending on which faith, culture, and area of the world the religion exists in.

If you're trying to build a faith for your world, I'd recommend establishing a doctrine first. Worry about things like rank later. What did you have in mind for a doctrine?

camradio

Scribe
Is there only one person in each class? Also maybe have a generic class below Acolyte that has multiple people in it, something like an initiate or the faithful. Basically extra devoted followers who give their life to the religion without necessarily moving up the clergy.

Just a thought

Saigonnus

Auror
The Grand Worship Poobah: Controls the edifices of religion for the entire country Elected from among the High Poobahs
The High Worship Poobah: Controls the edifices of religion for a county/area: Elected from among the Poobahs
The Worship Poobah: Controls one religious edifice (church/chantry/temple etc.) or acts as a second to a High Worship Poobah: appointed by the high Poobah of the county
The Worship Acolyte: Second to a Worship Poobah, performs most of the church functions within the edifice.
The Worship Novice: A new member of the Worship arm, learns from the Acolytes.

The High Fist Poobah: Equal in rank to the High Worship Poobah, for the order's military arm, controls the forces in a given area and answers only to the Grand Worship Poobah
The Fist Poobah: Equal in rank to the Worship Poobah and acts as a leader to a small contingent of "soldiers"
The Fist Cavalier: The basest soldiers, trained and well armed.
The Fist Cavalier Page: Aides and assistants to the Fist Cavaliers; does the menial work in regards to arming, armoring and keeping his Cavalier's gear in working order.

Last edited: